Part 2, Chapter 43

Part 2, Chapter 43

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Proposal

"

Ch 43


When Xun’s eyes drifted open the first thing she saw was Leng Zai watching her. She smiled dreamily at him, feeling as if all was right in the world. 


“You are the most beautiful when you are waking up,” he said softly, running his hand over her hair where it draped over the pillow. “You are always beautiful,” he added quickly, “But in the mornings you are stunning.”


She yawned and stretched, still not fully awake. They had talked deep into the night about everything they could think of, other than the impending war. 


“I want to watch you wake up every morning,” Leng Zai said “And spend everyday at your side.”


Xun mind jolted awake. The last thing Leng Zai had asked her last night was why she had so much trouble speaking around high gods, pointing out that he had never seen her speak around the God of War. Had she answered? She vaguely remembered saying that it was because of the King of the Merfolk. Had she said it out loud?


“Xun, I…”


She rolled on her side and took his face in her hands. “What was the last thing I said to you last night?”


Leng Zai laughed. A deep, rich laugh that made her bones vibrate. She had never heard him make a sound like that before and she fell back, staring at him.


He pulled himself together, “Xun, I’m trying to ask you to marry me. Do we really need to review what we said last night?”


Xun hiccuped. “You’re trying to do what?”


“Xun, I want to marry you. As soon as possible. I know your mother isn’t here right now,” he hesitated slightly, “And I have no idea if I even have relatives, but the God of War can stand for us.” Here he reached under the pillow and drew out two documents, one was a letter in her mother’s hand writing, the other was a red bound book. “I couldn’t sleep last night so I wrote to your mother, the God of War was able to slip into the Emperor’s camp and deliver it,” sheepishly he handed her back her hair stick. “Sorry, I borrowed this so your mother would know it was from me. I even drew up the marriage contract,” he said, handing the papers to her.


Xun had no idea what to say. 


He pressed the letter and the contract firmly into her hands. “Your mother gave her approval. Marry me, Xun. Please.”


Xun looked at him. Leng Zai had always seemed a little childlike to her. If he had asked her a day ago she would have told him no. Today he had changed. It was like the final piece of a jigsaw puzzle had been slid into place and he was someone different, but familiar. 


“I…” she stopped. Leng Zai didn’t push her, he just waited, his eyes filled with hope. “Yes,” she said simply. 


Leng Zai pulled her to him, holding her as if she were his world. “Thank you,” he whispered into her hair before tipping her head up and slanting his mouth over hers.



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
Added on July 7, 2023
Last Updated on July 21, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, adventure, romance

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra