FB3-55 "And Water Big Race It Was"

FB3-55 "And Water Big Race It Was"

A Chapter by dw817
"

For a moment I felt like I was under a drowning waterfall and was coughing up water, my lungs burning from the chlorine, to see he had reached the dividing rope. There was no way I could win now ...

"

PRESS CTRL = (EQUALS) TO INCREASE THE PAGE SIZE AND CTRL 0 (ZERO) TO RESET THE PAGE SIZE

       
 


Want to read this in a different language ?
Change the TO field to your own country and after going
HERE





F U T U R E   B A R R I E R
( The 3rd Novel )
Secret Technology, Unrequited Love, Absolute Vengeance

© June 2018 Written by David Wicker
Please do not reprint without permission



 CHAPTER 55 - "And Water Big Race It Was"
[ CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CHAPTER TO READ ]


* * *


This chapter is Rated: TEEN


I only knew the dog paddle, but I flapped and kicked my legs like crazy anyways.

It was only a moment later I saw that Mettle was watching me with grand amusement, a sly grin was on his face. I stopped kicking the water for a minute to look at him. Everything was still as all eyes from the pool were on both him and me.

He broke the silence. "Really ?" he asked me. "You're serious ?"

I kicked the water more and moved ahead a single foot of space. "You better watch out, I'm going to catch up to you." I said.

And yes, my swimming was so bad that even though he unfairly started out a few feet a head of me, I had yet to even catch up to where he was - even though he hadn't swam any distance at all !

He shook his head in derision and yelled, "See ya, loser !" And suddenly took off in a flurry of splashed water, and all of it in my direction !

For a moment I felt like I was under a drowning waterfall and was coughing up water, my lungs burning from the chlorine, to see he had almost reached the rope dividing the kiddie area from the deep end. There was absolutely no way I could win with my poor swimming skills !

It was then I called up the Barrier.

He deftly reached for the rope but I put a Barrier around it so it slipped out of his hands. As he was fumbling trying to get past it, I put another Barrier behind me. At first it felt like razor-sharp glass so I concentrated to make it soft and spongy, which it did.

Then I had it hurl me forward. It was as if I was on a Kawasaki Jet Ski propelling me ahead ! In mere seconds I had hit the rope and quickly pulled it over my head to continue. I touched the end of the pool and removed the Barrier so I wouldn't smash into the edge.

I hung on to the concrete side and looked back to see Mettle was still fighting with the ropes. Those watching were yelling all kinds of things.

"Idiot ! Get past it !"
"Lift the rope over your head, a*****e !"
"What's wrong with you !? That dork's gonna win !"

Mettle, frustrated and completely perplexed as to why he couldn't grab the dividing rope finally decided to swim under it to get by to the other side. He was only a few seconds away from me at the deep end where I kicked in the Barrier again, this time in the opposite direction.

I jetted off, almost leaving a rooster tail of wake water behind as I dashed to the rope, under it as I raised it over my head again, and immediately zoomed to the edge of the kiddie pool, where the goal was.

I removed both Barriers right when I reached the end and saw Mettle was 3/4 of the way out in the pool, swimming as hard as he could in his return trip.

I sat on the steps in the pool and quietly waited long seconds as he finally got back to me, clearly pushing and straining his muscles to swim his best speed to meet my impossible own.

If I had expected a friendly handshake, I was to be mistaken. The moment he returned he grabbed me by my skinny chest and lifted me up screeching, "You goddamn cheater ! Where's the motor, huh ? There's no way you could swim that fast, punk !"

I shrugged as he fruitlessly felt on my back and around the pool to try and find the secret motor that propelled me with such speed through the water. And of course, it wasn't there. I had removed both Barriers through my thoughts.

There was a moment of silence when Melody stepped forward and suddenly started clapping her hands and hooting as loud as she could. A few seconds later the rest of the teenagers were doing the same.

Melody came forward to pat me on my back, "That's some incredible swimming there, dork, I mean, I'm sorry ... what was your name again ?"

"Dev." I told her, a little sheepishly as she was now hugging and and patting me all over.

"That's right, well, Dev. You've earned the right to join us. Our group is called the Water Otter and we're always looking for fast swimmers. We've got a competition coming up where we race the Intrepid Squid team. I'd sure like to have you there !"

I shrugged. It was one thing to use the Barrier to help me beat a simple one-on-one swimming competition, but I had no doubt in my mind these "rivals" of theirs would not be so forgiving. If I won they may go out for my blood unable to fathom how a snip like me could possibly beat them !

"That's - very kind of you." I began. "But no, I gotta get home now. I'm sure my Mom is worried about me."

Melody's face screwed up in frustration. "Well, hell, here, have my phone number at least in case you change your mind. I have no doubt you would win and then - well - I'd be ESPECIALLY grateful, if you catch my meaning."

* * *

I shrugged, I had no idea what she was talking about - that is until she trailed a lone finger down my wet back to tweak me gently on my butt where I wore the swimsuit she let me borrow earlier.

I made a noise like a squeak toy in surprise getting a laugh out of her. I looked to her and she really was remarkably beautiful. "I'd be really grateful if you joined us." she said, and then stepped away.

I went back in the bushes to change back into my clothes, but not before I had the Barrier whip around me like a small tornado blowing all the water off of me first.

I dissipated it and came back out, dry as a new dishtowel which also got a look of surprise from Melody.

I looked to see Mettle was still sitting by the side of the pool, a look of complete bewilderment over his face as he was motioning his hands this way and that to figure out how he could've lost the race to a kid that apparently only knew how to dog paddle in the pool.

But no-one else was paying any attention to him.

Melody came back up and without asking permission, from behind me reached forward to give me a kind of hug, then put her hand directly in my front pocket, moving her fingers around in there as if probing for something further.

I yipped in her violating my personal boundaries for a second, pulling away by jerking forward to whirl and look at her as she leered in amusement from my reaction of offense.

She then stepped forward again but this time whispered warm and invitingly in my ear, "You have my phone number now, hero, as well as the swimsuit I let you borrow from my stash. It's yours to keep - to remember me by. And If you change your mind about the competition, just call me - anytime."

She then pulled back and spoke loud enough so everyone could hear. "We have a clear winner here, Dev. He won the competition so we will do as he asked and vacate, not to return to this particular swimming pool again."

There were a few half-hearted grumbles from the group. "Come on guys, let's not be sore losers about this. He won fair and square." she said. Then she started clapping her hands again and soon everyone was joining like before, all except notably Mettle who still sat by the edge of the pool still trying to figure out how I could've beaten him in the race.

Everyone started to grab their things and leave. Melody went to Mettle and sat down to talk to him. I looked to them and she spoke reassuringly,  "No worries, Dev. He's just feeling a little put out from not winning. He usually does so this is something different for him.

She continued, "We're leaving, I promise. And don't you forget my offer in joining. We can definitely use a powerful swimmer such as yourself."

I nodded. Climbed the fence using one of the chairs and was met at once by the senior citizen I spoke with earlier. He bid me follow, which I did, back to his apartment. His wife was already outside dressed in a pretty flowery robe and he spoke to me.

"Boy, I've never seen swimming like that ! Not even in the Olympics ! You must have gills on your neck, do you ?" And he laughed as I showed my plain neck, no gills.

Then his wife pointed an accusatory finger at me and spoke in a serious tone. "You have a unique gift, son." she said mysteriously.

At once I felt a panic rising within me. Did she somehow know about my ability to control the Barrier ?

She continued unabated, "You be very careful out there. I know you want to do good and help others and what you did tonight was very nice for us, but someone somewhere is going to try and punish you for all the good you're doing. Be aware of this !"

I nodded, thinking about the future and said, "More than you know, ma'am."

Then she spoke again in a more cheerful tone, "You have done us a great service, young man. A great service. I'm glad they're honoring their agreement and not returning. Now we can all get some much needed sleep at night, like normal folk should."

She yawned and I found myself yawning as well. The two laughed. I backed away a bit, waved my hand and they waved back. They returned back to their apartment and I did the short journey to return back home myself.

And I did. I walked the short distance from that retirement village back to my house to see my Mom opening the door just as I was approaching.

"There you are !" she said in complete concern. "I was so worried ! Where were you ?"

"I just took a walk, like I promised." I told her. "Sorry I took so long getting back."

"Well ... " and she was going to say something but stopped herself.

Finally she concluded, "Well, you get back inside, young man, you have school tomorrow don't you know."

I nodded. Climbed the stairs, entered my room, closed the door, and emptied my pocket on the dresser. Sure enough there was the lower portion of the swimsuit she gave me that I wore earlier as well as a little business card with a phone number on it - wrapped in a plastic baggie to keep it dry from moisture.

I changed into my pajamas, picked up the swimsuit and stuffed it under my pillow. Then my head hit the bed and I slept well until morning.




END OF CHAPTER 55



Return back HOME




You are Earth Visitor #  




© 2018 dw817


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



Future Barrier - The 3rd Novel


Author

dw817
dw817

Fort Worth, TX



About
more..

Writing