FB3-64 "Reflections"

FB3-64 "Reflections"

A Chapter by dw817
"

I dreamed that Tyr was some kind of wood elfand about as tall as your finger. I was a dragonfly with big giant black eyes much like I had now. And we played at a tiny waterfall near a babbling brook.

"

PRESS CTRL = (EQUALS) TO INCREASE THE PAGE SIZE AND CTRL 0 (ZERO) TO RESET THE PAGE SIZE

       
 


Want to read this in a different language ?
Change the TO field to your own country and after going
HERE





F U T U R E   B A R R I E R
( The 3rd Novel )
Secret Technology, Unrequited Love, Absolute Vengeance

© August 2018 Written by David Wicker
Please do not reprint without permission



 CHAPTER 64 - "Reflections"
[ CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CHAPTER TO READ ]


* * *


This chapter is Rated: TEEN


I met with no more mishap on the ride home. Once there, Tyr was very nice and carefully led me to the door and inside.

Back inside my home, Mom started pulling out some glass bowls for the ice cream. I had already untied the washcloth around my eyes and sitting in a chair.

My Dad, naturally curious as to my eyes, shone a penlight in them, yet nothing reflected back. It truly was a bottomless void.

He spoke, "I can kind of see why that optician wanted to keep you, Dev. Your eyes aren't just black but there's no back to them. Normally you can shine a bright light into someone's pupils and see it reflecting the back of the area around the eyes."

"That is not happening here with you. It's like a bottomless void. Do you feel okay, son ?"

I nodded. "No more pain, just - blindness." and with that a sniffled a tear. Would I be blind forever now ?

"Now, now, none of that." my Mom chided. Then came close and spoke in a silly tone reserved for pets. "Who's my big boy ! Who's my big boy ! Who, who, who ?"

I sighed, "I'm your big boy." Tyr laughed and leered showing her perfect white teeth.

"That's right." my Mom concluded. "You are, so no tears. We'll get through this, I promise you. But for now, it's time for ice cream."

Tyr led me into the kitchen to sit down. Dad, Mom, me, Lilly, Tyr, and Tyr's Mom all had some ice cream and were quiet, reflecting on the day.

Tyr spoke suddenly and cheerfully, "I think it's totally cool. You look like a superhero !"

I nodded, smiling.

After the ice cream we went back into the living room where Tyr's Mom picked out a book from the library in there and insisted to read it out loud to me. It wasn't a kid's book or even a teen reader so I was starting to fall asleep from the plot.

Then there were whispers all around me.

"What a day !"
"He needs his sleep."
"This problem should be gone by tomorrow."
"Suzy, do you still have some of that cough medicine with the codeine in it ?"
"Yes, let me go get it."

Suddenly someone was lifting my head and forced some nasty tasting cherry medicine down me. Quite a few spoonfuls of it actually. Now my head felt like it was filled with sand.

The voices got even quieter. "Let's put him to bed." I heard Tyr offer.

Strong arms lifted me. I knew from the aftershave it was my Dad. He carefully climbed up the stairs with me and entered my bedroom door. He took off my shorts, shirt, socks, and shoes and then only in my underwear I was in bed.

He kissed me solemnly on the forehead and spoke encouragingly, "You watch. This thing will be gone by morning."

And as hard as I tried to stay awake thinking about things, the codeine soothed my savage brain and lulled it to sleep. And this time, I did dream. And it was pretty nice but weird all the same.

I dreamed that Tyr was some kind of wood elf, like a pixie, and about as tall as your finger. I was a dragonfly with big giant black eyes much like I had now. And we played at a tiny waterfall near a babbling brook. And I could see ! I could see a whole lot better with these bug eyes than with normal human eyes.

I could take in the world from the left and right of me and make a much bigger picture than normal eyes would. I could also fly ! I had powerful sets of wings that let me soar up and down at tremendous speed, and I could even hover in place, just like the majestic hummingbird.

* * *

I smiled as I slept and the night wore on without incident.

In the morning, I was vibrant and excited. Much like I was when it was Christmas morning. Surely my eyes were better ! There was no reason for them to be the way they were and surely nature would take its course and remove such a strange thing.

I was in pitch darkness and opened my eyes. Naturally I couldn't see anything. I carefully got out of bed to reach for the light when I kicked over one of my toy robots. It sprang into life, walking on its sturdy plastic legs and the front opened up showing a scrolling scene in space and noisy sparks came out the front of it.

That in itself wasn't too exciting, but what was, is that I could see again !

I picked up the robot and watched it carefully. There was no blurriness at all. I took the whole scene in. Then I reached for the lights and my room was bathed in a comfortable illumination showing all my toys, stuffed animals, and desk computer where a pile of paperclips still lay from mine and Tyr's earlier investigating of SIM.

"Mom, Dad !" I yelled, "Hey !"

In an instant Mom and Dad were thundering up the steps to fling open my bedroom door.

Mom seemed really excited but Dad seemed worried, "What is it son, is it worse ?"

Then Mom spoke, "Harold ! Look at his eyes ! He's okay, he's okay !"

Dad chuckled, "Looks like all the slugger needed was a belt of codeine to have a good night's sleep. Nice to have you back, son !"

And then they both reached forward to hug me.

I was all excited. "Hey, I better let Tyr know about this, right ?"

Dad reached out to my shoulder. "Hold on, kiddo. It's 4 in the morning right now. You've got school tomorrow so you can talk to her then."

A big grin appeared on my face, "This is awesome !"

Dad and Mom nodded in agreement. It was very good that I wasn't permanently blinded from the condition.

For a moment I tried to recall the awful dream about Mom and Dad being killed by some space guys from the future. But it was such an unpleasant memory that most of it was blotted out of my recall. And that was fine with me.

Mom reached over to the shelf where the cough medicine she gave me earlier was.

"A few more spoonfuls, young man. We don't want a relapse."

I nodded. I liked the dream I was having. If codeine made sure I had good dreams, then I was all for it, at least for this night anyways. After that I should be healthy enough to not need it.

So, smirking for the taste, I swallowed 3 big spoonfuls of the medicine she placed before me.

"Goodnight, son." Dad said. "I'm so glad you got over this. You really had your Mom worried."

I nodded and started drooping again. I just pulled back into bed and the lights were turned off. The two left and I didn't wake until morning - ready for school !

When my 6am alarm went off, I got up, took a thorough shower, then dashed down - to surprisingly se Tyr there !

When she saw my eyes were back to normal, she glomped me with a big kiss !

Mom saw it and giggled, "That's so sweet, Tyr ! You're always looking out for my little, Dev."

Tyr nodded, "Yes'm."

I went to the table in the kitchen and saw a card there. Tyr reached over to take it.

"You won't need this now." she said cheerily.

"What is it ?" I was curious.

"Just a 'Get Well' card. You're all better now. I'll save it for some other time ..."

I nodded. "Okay, well, what's for breakfast ?"

My Mom was already in the kitchen and pulled a plate, already prepared, from the stove.

"Butter and cinnamon Pancakes, your favorite, honey !"

"Alright !" I set down to have that with some milk and orange juice. After that, with my schoolbooks and belongings all ready, Tyr and me headed out the door for school. Lilly tagged along and we talked in earnest about the plugin, how it worked, and what more could be done with it.




END OF CHAPTER 64



Return back HOME




You are Earth Visitor #  




© 2018 dw817


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



Future Barrier - The 3rd Novel


Author

dw817
dw817

Fort Worth, TX



About
more..

Writing