FB3-63 "The Evil Optometrist"

FB3-63 "The Evil Optometrist"

A Chapter by dw817
"

"Isn't that fine ?" "You're fine as wine, boy." Dr. Andrews said in an oily and creepy voice. "What are you going to do with me !?" I demanded. "The very best that we can" Dr. Mathis said, snickering.

"

PRESS CTRL = (EQUALS) TO INCREASE THE PAGE SIZE AND CTRL 0 (ZERO) TO RESET THE PAGE SIZE

       
 


Want to read this in a different language ?
Change the TO field to your own country and after going
HERE





F U T U R E   B A R R I E R
( The 3rd Novel )
Secret Technology, Unrequited Love, Absolute Vengeance

© August 2018 Written by David Wicker
Please do not reprint without permission



 CHAPTER 63 - "The Evil Optometrist"
[ CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CHAPTER TO READ ]


* * *


This chapter is Rated: TEEN


It was a short ride to the hospital.
I heard the door open but then heard what sounded like a group of people.

"Would you look at that !" one said.
"What's causing that ?" another spoke.
"He looks like the devil himself." one laughed.

"Get away from me !" I said and saw blurry figures move away. Then one stepped forward.

"I'm Dr. Mathis, the optometrist. I'm sorry. Some of my colleagues heard the conversation on the phone and wanted to see for themselves - total dilation. But here it is. Completely a miracle ! Are you in any pain ?"

"Not yet." I said carefully.

He laughed, "Okay, I get the message. Come on you guys, get back to work. Let's see if we can't find the cause of the problem here."

Strong hands moved me forward. Behind me I heard my Dad and Mom but they were saying, "Hey ! Don't walk so fast ! That's our son ! Where are you taking him ?" then a great deal of whispering, the sound of several heavy metallic doors closing, and then silence.

We walked slower and I heard a terrible hum and where I was it was frightfully dark. I suspected even with perfection vision I wouldn't be able to make out where I was.

"That's fine." the doctor assured me. "Just fine. Have a seat here would you please ?"

I was directed to sit on an all-steel stool. There was some more murmuring. Apparently two other people were here and they were whispering like mad. Mostly like they were excited or something.

The doctor came forward again and put a strong hand on my shoulder. "That's just fine, Dev. It is Dev, isn't it ?"

I nodded. Suddenly there was a flash of light ahead of me. And a few more times.

"That's just fine, isn't that fine, Dr. Andrews ?"

"Just fine. You're fine as wine, boy." he assured in an oily and creepy voice.

I whirled to face Dr. Mathis. "What are you going to do with me !?" I demanded.

"The very best that we can." he said with a bit of a snicker. Then he stepped away and I heard whispering. "How did the photo come out. Oh, that's great. We'll get the Nobel medical prize for sure with this. We'll call it the Mathis Eye Syndrome."

"What are you doing !?" I demanded again from where I sat.

"Oh, Dev. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me. You must understand. Your condition. It's unique, do you understand ? Nothing like this has ever happened in the history of man - and well, it's kind of important to me. It's important to all of us, isn't it ?"

There was some enthusiastic agreement from the other two doctors to that.

"It's important I get my eyesight back !" I yelled from where I was.

He came forward and tapped me on the back, not so politely. "Dev, I don't think you realize what you have here. A condition that no man has ever had. That makes you a rather special young man, don't you think ? Wouldn't you like to devote some time to help out some doctors analyze and examine this incredible phenomenon before you're healed from it altogether ?"

"No ! I want my eyes fixed - now !"

He clicked his tongue disconsolately. "Well, there are no guarantees in the medical profession. I mean, what we have here is a new condition. Even if we wanted to heal you - " he caught himself and changed his voice to sound hopeful, "Which we do ! Yes, which we do, we're not entirely sure how to proceed. Why don't you tell us everything that happened up to this point ?"

I heard a loud click and a soft whirring sound. Clearly they were recording with audio what I was saying now. But I wanted my eyes to get back to normal so - well - I told them. I told them about the strange event of where my parents were murdered by some guys from the future. How I woke up and saw glowing skeletons. I told them everything, even the human faces on the roaches.

There was silence now. The recorder was clicked off. One doctor spoke quietly, "Grand mal hallucination it sounds like to me."

"Yes but how would that affect his eyes ?" someone else asked.

"Is it possible that the subconscious trauma somehow caused the optic nerves to go into this kind of muscular pressure ?" Dr. Mathis mused.

"Anything is possible." another doctor said.

"Well ?" I said from where I was.

I heard something heavy and metallic wheeling across the floor.

"Well ? Yes, you will be well. Yes indeed, Dev. We are certainly going to take care of you. Certainly the very best care that money can buy. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Tell me, you're not allergic to any anesthetics, are you ?"

With that someone painfully pinned my arms behind me and a gas mask was inserted over my face. It tasted -weird- and in moments I was so sleepy I felt I was falling out of the chair.

I could hear voices, but only as echoes, "Hold him ! Don't let him fall ! Hey, he's stronger than he looks. Someone help me here. I've got the gurney. Keep the mask on. That's it. Steady pressure. He's weakening. Okay, tie him down here ..."

And this time, I didn't dream. It was more a kind of syrupy murkiness. Not really scary, but not really good either. Finally I woke up. Even though I still couldn't see, I could feel that I was strapped down to a gurney, hard. My feet, legs, waist, arms, hands, even my neck was constrained in a strong type of thick leather strap.

And then I heard a voice, It was Dr. Mathis. "Feeling better ?"

"You monster !" I managed to spit out.

His metal chair screeched a bit and I could tell he had stood up from a chair.

"I'm the monster ? Is that what you're saying ? Just look at you ! Really ! Now who's the monster here ? ... Okay, that's not nice. I'm sorry. But Dev. Pay attention now. We need to have an understanding here, okay ? Because apparently you just can't see the big picture - "

I interrupted him, "You have me tied down and for what !?"

* * *

"Big picture - " he mumbled. Then laughed, "Yes, please don't interrupt. You must understand, Dev. This thing - you have with your eyes. It's big. It's bigger than me, and it's certainly bigger than you. We owe it to the medical profession to study, to analyze, to experiment with it if need be, to explore this - thing you have. And how you got it."

I was quiet and he continued, "That certainly was a fantastic tale you told me. Bad dream I guess. I want to assure you, there will be no bad dreams while you are here."

I heard him rotate something metallic and a weird coolness entered my arm. I realized I was hooked up to an IV and a hanging bottle. In seconds a weird calming coolness entered my left arm and wrist.

"Ohhh ..." I said uneasily at the strange feeling.

"Morphine." he explained. "We are certainly going to keep you as quiet and happy as we can while you are here. No hard feelings, okay ? I'll leave this on a slow drip. I need to work on some presentation papers about this medical miracle you have but I'll be back in about an hour to check up on you. And maybe when you're feeling better I can get a more accurate story from you."

And then he left. And, suddenly I was reminded of when Umeya hooked up a bottle of morphine to give me an enema so that I would divulge the information and location of the plugin. I was drifting into a very comfortable sleep when someone slapped my face.

"Wha- what !?" I started, but then I heard a harsh girl's voice, "Shhh ! Keep it down, you weenie !"

That was Tyr's voice ! "Tyr ! But - how can you ... !?"

And then I heard Lilly's voice. "You left some of that 'juice' with us. You know from the plugin ? I can walk through walls now and bring others with me. But I don't know for how long."

"What if we get stuck in a wall escaping ?" I complained.

She groaned, "Look, the more we argue about bad things happening, the better the chance is they will come to be. Come on, let's go !"

Tyr lifted me off of the bed and I was still blind. "How - how did you find me, Tyr ?"

"Your Dad called my Mom to meet us at the hospital. So we came, but then one of the nurses said you were in surgery and couldn't be disturbed. They were taking ages so I thought I would check on you to see if that's the case. And it's not. What's going on ?"

"The doctor - " I began.

"Move while you're talking !" Tyr said impatiently.

"Oh, yes." I took the needle out of my arm with the morphine and staggered off of the gurney as Lilly had already released the fittings.

"He - he wanted to keep me here because of my eyes. Something about a Nobel prize."

"Sick." she said disgustedly. "Sick sicko doctors. Trussing you down like a lab rat. You can't trust anyone these days, huh ?"

"Don't - my eyes frighten you ?" I asked Tyr, concerned.

Although I couldn't see her, I knew she was shaking her head, "No, if anything, you look really scared. But don't worry. I'm here, Lilly's here, and we're gonna get you out of this mess. Lilly ?"

Lilly spoke from across the room. "We can enter the wall through here !" and then suddenly Tyr was pulling me across the room. It seemed like we were going to get clean away when I heard a loud voice of dismay, it was Dr. Mathis, "Where do you think you're going, young man !? You get back over here and put your IV on !"

And then it was if someone had cupped a seashell over my ears. I could faintly hear him. "What the fuuu !" and I knew we were traveling through the walls, with Lilly in the lead.

Then I could hear normally again.

"Where are we ?" I asked, pretty disoriented from the whole ordeal.

"Girl's bathroom." Lilly hissed. "Keep it down, oh crap !" and then I was being dragged forward again. There was the smell of strong bathroom cleaner. "This is not - " I began, but Tyr punched me in the ribs to keep me quiet, then I heard a door close.

I realized then Tyr and Lilly must've dragged me in to one of the bathroom stalls, shut the door, and blind as I was, I was fumbling over the toilet. My hand touched cold porcelain and I jerked back. I tried to stand but tripped and hit the switch to flush and fell over again, this time headfirst.

Then I heard an older woman's voice, "What are you two girls doing in here ? This is the staff bathroom."

"Makeup !" they both said simultaneously and must've gone to the mirror, opening their purses to apply the stuff.

The older woman sighed, the bathroom door opened, and then was closed again. The door to my stall was thrust open and I could hear the two girls laughing.

"What, what's going on ?" I asked, and my voice had a funny echo to it and my hair was fully submerged in water.

"Damn you really are blind, arncha ?" Lilly said, suppressing a giggle as she continued to leer at the sight of me hanging upside-down over the toilet, my breeches caught on the pipes behind me.

I had no idea what was going on but then Tyr grabbed to help me down, using a knife to cut the loop in my breeches that was hanging me and place - and suddenly we were out the bathroom door. Tyr dragged me down the hall and suddenly I could hear my parents.

Dad was speaking, "Look ! Surgery shouldn't take that long. I demand to see my son !"

Lilly then spoke cheerfully, "I got him right here !"

And then both parents were all over me hugging and kissing. Tyr was gone in a fit of giggles as this took place. Dad pulled back for a second. "Why is your hair wet ?"

Mom was too worried about me to notice, "Honey, did they do anything about your eyes ?"

"Nope. And he's a bad doctor." I didn't elaborate any more than that.

But Dad seemed to get the message, "I thought something was screwy when they separated us the way they did. We're going home. We'll take care of your eyes there. Surely it's something just temporary."

The nurse was unaware of what happened so she didn't attempt to stop us. In moments we were outside and my two parents were talking to Annie, Tyr's Mom, who apparently brought both girls over to the hospital.

A short distance from me I heard a kid cry out, "Bug-eyed freak !"

I looked down suddenly afraid and Mom came forward to pat me on my back and wrap a towel around my eyes. "It's only for a short while, honey. We don't want to bring any more attention to you."

I nodded. I wanted things to get better. Scaring the neighborhood kids with my bug eyes would not end well I know.

Dad then spoke, "Let's all meet back at the house for ice cream. Dev, I bet you would like some. If you didn't know, we've been at this hospital for over 8-hours now. It's nighttime. Let's - let's all just get some ice cream and - try to deal with what we have then."

I nodded again. Dad gave me a reassuring thump on my arm. Then I was directed into the car that brought me. And although I couldn't see it, I guess we were all headed home - to have some ice cream. How bad could that be ?





END OF CHAPTER 63



Return back HOME




You are Earth Visitor #  




© 2019 dw817


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



Future Barrier - The 3rd Novel


Author

dw817
dw817

Fort Worth, TX



About
more..

Writing