Asian Cup Match 1: Hosts begin with late winner over hapless Japan

Asian Cup Match 1: Hosts begin with late winner over hapless Japan

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Match 1: UAE v Japan

Hosts begin with late winner over hapless Japan

January 2nd, 2020

 

Player of the Match Ali Mabkhout scored in the 86th minute to set up a vital opening game for the United Arab Emirates over the group’s rival, Japan.

 

The game started with Musashi Suzuki having the first proper shot on goal, but it was sent straight to goalkeeper Khalid Eisa. Amer Abdulrahman followed soon after with the first shot for the UAE, but the ball was off target.

 

Japan then dominated more possession (55% over the course of the match) and forward momentum. Suzuki started a long run and shot, only for Eisa to save it.  Again, Suzuki passed forward where the UAE defence were located. Suzuki stole the ball and passed to an offside Takumi Minamino. The rest of the half petered out to nothing - all square at the break.

 

To change things up, the Japanese coach, Hajime Moriyasu, made two substitutions and used his third very early in the second half.

 

This made little difference, as the UAE slowly worked to have control over the match. Abdulraham chipped a long ball, requiring goalkeeper Shuichi Gonda to come out of his box and clear it. On the other flank, Mabkhout played a quick 1-2 with Ahmed Khalil, before running to goal and shooting. Gonda saved the ball, parrying it to the side and into the path of Ismail Matar, who shot from a tight angle. Gonda ensured his second save went out of play. Mabkhout had a chance volley from the resulting corner, but the shot was far too weak.

 

Bandar Al-Ahbabi then tried from long range after a few half-shots from the Emirates players.

 

Abdulrahram, despite not playing well for long periods of the match through losing easy possessions, went for a run and attracted a number of Japanese players. He then cut back from the left flank to Player of the Match Mabkhout, who kept hold of the ball despite pressure from Wataru Endo, and shot his third on target and around Gonda for a glorious goal.

 

Needing an equaliser, Suzuki had a shot in additional time that was thwarted by a sliding Khalifa Mubarak. The Emirates players then played for the final whistle, gaining three crucial points and almost guaranteeing that Japan cannot finish above them, thanks to the rule of head-to-head results counting higher on the criteria when teams finish on equal points.

 

Important aspects of the match:

·      UAE’s best: Ali Mabkhout, Khalifa Mubarak in defence, Yousef Jaber at left back with three interceptions.

·      Matar had two shots on target before being substituted, possibly because he lost 6 out of 8 possessions.

·      Mabkhout had three on target and one interception.

·      Mohammed Saleh and Walid Abbas with three clearances from defence.

·      Adbulrahman lost possession plenty of times early and must improve in that aspect of his game.

·      Suggestion for coach to replace striker Jassim Yaqoob Salman as he was fairly quiet up front.

 

·      Japan’s best players: Hiroki Sakai in defence, Yosuke Ideguchi before being substituted.

·      Genki Haraguchi had most passes overall, mostly short passes.

·      Suzuki had most dribbles overall.

·      Sho Sasaki won two crucial headers and a crucial intercept.

·      Daiki Hashioka made a crucial block. 

·      Suzuki had plenty of short, attacking passes and three shots on target out of four attempts.

·      Genta Miura recommended to be benched at left back, or for Japan to play a back four.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on January 31, 2020
Last Updated on January 31, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing