AFCON 2020 Match 23: Four Goals Give Burkina Faso First AFCON Three Points

AFCON 2020 Match 23: Four Goals Give Burkina Faso First AFCON Three Points

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

AFCON 2020 Match 23: Guinea v Burkina Faso

Four Goals Give Burkina Faso First AFCON Three Points

June 22, 2020

Guinea 1 Burkina Faso 4

 

Burkina Faso romped four goals past a 2018 World Cup in Guinea to bankroll their first win for the AFCON 2020 tournament.

 

The Burkinabe coach made three changes to their starting eleven loss to the Comoros on June 18, whilst Guinea kept their tried and tested line up.

 

 One of Burkina Faso’s changes, Ismahila Ouédraogo, produced a goal with the first shot of the game. He was found with a choice through ball and shot early, not giving any Guinean in defence or in goals enough time to respond.

 

Ibrahima Traoré tried to equalise in the twelfth minute; his shot flew over the bar. Issiaga Sylla had his shot blocked by two defenders, before the follow-up saw Traoré’s shot fly to the left of goal.

 

Burkina Faso’s Cyrille Bayala had a chance to double the lead in the 34th minute, only for his right foot to miss to the right.

 

Instead, right before the break, Ouédraogo bagged his second, with his left foot shot cutting the grass and across the face of goal, managing to find the opposite low corner.

 

Jonathan Pitroipa made it three goals straight after halftime. His run sliced the defence with ease, taking no marking man with him until it was too late. His run timed perfectly with the through ball, and as he steadied, fired it into the roof of the net.

 

Shocked beyond repair, the Guineans needed a rapid change to salvage some pride. Instead, Burkina Faso’s substitute, Aristide Bancé, fired in similar fashion to Pitroipa for his side’s fourth of the evening.

 

The match hardly had another shot on target before additional time approached and Amadou Diawara was handed the ball right in front of goal. His goal saved some face for the Guineans, though the one goal proved fruitless as Burkina Faso ruffled feathers in Group F with the final score at 4-1, sending the 2018 World Cup Quarter Finalists into disarray on and off the field.

 

Important aspects of the match:

            Ouédraogo’s two goals in the first half.

            Pitroipa’s goal in the 47th minute.

            Bancé’s goal in the 60th minute.

            Diawara’s consolation goal in the 90th minute.

 

            Guinea’s best afield: Diawara with his goal and Guinea’s only shot on target; Issiaga Sylla with four key intercepts and three clearances; Ibrahima Traoré with most tackles for his side; Naby Keïta with most passes overall; Mikael Dyrestam with most dribbles for his side.

 

            Burkina Faso’s best: Ouédraogo with his two goals and assist; Issa Kaboré as fill in in defence with most tackles for his side, as well as three key intercepts, three clearances and a block; Pitroipa with his goal; Alain Traoré with most passes for his side; Abdou Razak Traoré with most dribbles for his side.

            Steeve Yago with four key clearances, an intercept and a block.



© 2022 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on April 14, 2022
Last Updated on April 14, 2022

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing