May 25 to June 13, 2020 Global Futbol Matches (African Friendlies)

May 25 to June 13, 2020 Global Futbol Matches (African Friendlies)

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

May 25 to June 13, 2020 (African Friendlies)

 

Friendlies

In preparation for the African Cup of Nations, teams played three to four friendlies across the continent before culminating in matches on Egyptian soil.

 

Two non-AFCON sides played as The Democratic Republic of Congo had control of the first half in their match against Burundi. The second half was more tightly contested, especially when Burundi slotted a penalty. In the end, the hosts won 2-1. Two goals at the start of both halves set up a solid win for South Africa over Congo. Jordan Ayew scored a goal early against Guinea-Bissau, but from there Ghana could not find another netter. The Guinea-Bissau goalkeeper was deemed Player of the Match with twelve saves. Cameroon held on to a solitary goal win against the Comoros after going down to ten players for a rash challenge.

 

On Sunday May 31, Mali’s Diadie Samassékou scored the only goal of the match against Algeria to give his side a boost. Sudan’s Amir Suliman scored an own goal against Morocco before Mbark Boussoufa made it 2-0. São Tomé and Príncipe and Mozambique played a scoreless draw in a match that only had two shots on target, while Uganda had the last chance to overcome Burkina Faso, only to hit the outside of the post, and come away with no goals for the match.

 

Samuel Chukwueze and Simeon Nwankwo both scored for Nigeria in their away match against Zambia. The hosts had chances early to score, only when Chukwueze scored, the Zambians dropped their heads and never looked like recovering. Fans who snuck out for food before the halftime break between Rwanda and Chad would have missed two goals. Meddie Kagere opened the tale for the visitors, before they were caught napping and Marius Mouandilmadji quickly levelled. However, Haruna Niyonzima scored twice after the break before Kagere capped off with a header to round out 4-1 winners.

 

Benin had three shots hit the woodwork in the first half, denying them a two-goal lead over the Gambia at halftime after Steve Mounié scored. Instead, Musa Barrow pegged back the goal, and from there, the Gambians held on for the draw. South Africa had the upper hand for much of their match against Guinea, only for Naby Keïta to score at the death to equalise the match. Earlier, Hlompho Kekana came off the bench to nail a goal with his left boot.

 

Wahbi Khazri scored a hat trick for Tunisia as they ran out 4-2 winners away to Angola. The back three of Angola were exposed too many times, though they did equalise via Geraldo and Wilson Eduardo. Khazri scored his hat trick goal to wrestle back the lead, before Youssef Msakni capped off a brilliant win. As for Comoros, they went two goals up away to Madagascar via Chadhouli Mradabi and Ibroihim Youssouf. However, Madagascar had other ideas, and scored via Njiva Rakotoharimalala, before Carolus Andriamatsinoro had a chance for redemption after Ali Ahamada saved his first penalty kick against the post. This time, Andriamatsinoro made no mistake, and the match ended 2-2.

 

On Thursday June 4, Mali and the Comoros flew to Egypt for a friendly match. Sékou Koïta scored for Mali right before the break with his head. However, Soulaimana Ibouniyamine brought the game level again. Mali needed Kalifa Coulibaly to score, and he provided the winning goal. Mozambique set up a win in Egypt against the Sudan with three goals in the first half from Nanani, Witi and Stanley Ratifo. Sudan’s Ahmed Mahmoud managed a consolation goal, but the southern Africans left the ground with complete dominance. São Tomé and Príncipe also had their first friendly in Egypt, dispatching of a dull Algerian side. The difference between the two sides was Gualdino Mauro’s goal off the inside of the post in the fifth minute, while Algeria’s best chance also hit the same post in the second, only for the ball to trickle across the face of goal.

 

In their last home game before travelling to Egypt, Morocco trialled young blood in their match against Zambia. Instead, it was Hakim Ziyach and Achraf Hakimi, being played on the left wing, who scored for the hosts. Substitute Enock Mwepu consoled his side with a goal at the death, but Morocco honestly should have scored more in the second half. Nigeria flew to Kigali and scored early against the Rwandans via Oghenekaro Etebo. Rwanda, however, equalised with another Kagere goal. Nigeria restored their lead when Ahmed Musa headered over his marking man, ensuring a solid win for the African stalwarts.

 

Benin scored three against Chad in their friendly in Cairo, with Jodel Dossou opening the tale before substitute Mickaël Poté bagged a brace. The Gambia’s Assan Ceesay was the only goal scorer in the match against Angola, even though he had a chance to snag a penalty. Instead, his goal came right before the end of a dull half, and Angola’s front three struggled to have any impact. A dull first half also took place between Madagascar and Burkina Faso, before Bryan Dabo scored the winner in the 59th minute.

 

Tunisia flew south from Angola to win against South Africa, thanks to Khazri scoring again. Earlier, Ellyes Skhiri opened the campaign before Themba Zwane equalised minutes later. Tunisia’s defence held firm near the end of the match in spite of South Africa’s best efforts to draw the game. Guinea travelled to Uganda to win by two goals, thanks to the likes of Francois Kamano and substitute Sadio Diallo. However, the Guinean defence were the true champions, blocking shot after shot. Those that did bypass the defence were too slow, and therefore easy pickings for the Guinean goalkeeper.

 

On Tuesday June 9, Mali and Guinea battled for a draw in which both sides had chances to win the match after Mikael Dyrestam and Koïta scored for their respective sides. Burkina Faso’s Lassina Franck Traoré scored twice in the second half to set up a win over Sudan, with substitute Maaz Gismalla gaining a consolation header goal. Mostafa Mohamed scored a brace for Egypt as they took on Togo, who had not qualified for the AFCON.

 

São Tomé and Príncipe faced the Comoros; the latter dominated the majority of the match, particularly after Ibouniyamine scored in the 20th minute. Tunisia took control of the first half against the rivals in the rankings, Zambia, scoring twice via a penalty from Oussama Haddadi and Msakni. However, Zambia’s Lazarous Kambole pegged back a goal, before Khazri restored order with yet another netter. Algeria scored in each half via Andy Delort’s volley and Riyad Mahrez’s tap in to gain full confidence against Rwanda prior to the tournament after earlier poor performances.

 

Morocco’s Noureddine Amrabat nearly drew level at the death against Benin, only to hit the post with his second long-range shot. Earlier, Amrabat had equalised after Mounié opened the scoring. However, Rodrigue Kossi gave Benin the lead again, and from there, held on for the win. Lebo Mothiba scored in each half to snag a brace for South Africa over Mozambique. Nigeria’s Paul Onuachu and Chukwueze both hit the back of the net against the defending three of Angola in their final preparation match.

 

Chad scored twice in the first half against Uganda to set up a solid victory. Mouandilmadji and Morgan Betorangal were the two goal scorers. Madagascar and the Gambia played out a scoreless draw that saw no shots in the first half and only one on target in the second.

 

 

May 26

Men’s Friendlies

· Congo DR 2 Burundi 1

· South Africa 4 Congo 1

· Ghana 1 Guinea-Bissau 0

· Comoros 0 Cameroon 1

 

May 31

Men’s Friendlies

· Mali 1 Algeria 0

· Morocco 2 Sudan 0

· São Tomé and Príncipe 0 Mozambique 0

· Zambia 0 Nigeria 2

· Rwanda 4 Chad 1

· Benin 1 Gambia 1

· South Africa 1 Guinea 1

· Angola 2 Tunisia 4

· Uganda 0 Burkina Faso 0

· Madagascar 2 Comoros 2

 

June 4

Men’s Friendlies

· Mali 2 Comoros 1 (neutral)

· Sudan 1 Mozambique 3 (neutral)

· São Tomé and Príncipe 1 Algeria 0 (neutral)

· Morocco 2 Zambia 1

· Rwanda 1 Nigeria 2

· Benin 3 Chad 0 (neutral)

· South Africa 1 Tunisia 2

· Angola 0 Gambia 1 (neutral)

· Uganda 0 Guinea 2

· Madagascar 0 Burkina Faso 1 (neutral)

 

June 9

Men’s Friendlies

· Mali 1 Guinea 1 (neutral)

· Sudan 1 Burkina Faso 2 (neutral)

· São Tomé and Príncipe 0 Comoros 1 (neutral)

· Zambia 1 Tunisia 3 (neutral)

· Rwanda 0 Algeria 2 (neutral)

· Benin 2 Morocco 1 (neutral)

· South Africa 2 Mozambique 0 (neutral)

· Angola 0 Nigeria 2 (neutral)

· Uganda 0 Chad 2 (neutral)

· Madagascar 0 Gambia 0 (neutral)

· Egypt 2 Togo 0



© 2021 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
Added on May 15, 2021
Last Updated on May 15, 2021

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing