FCON 2020 Third-Placed Playoff

FCON 2020 Third-Placed Playoff

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

AFCON 2020 Third-Placed Playoff

Nigeria Gains AFCON Bronze With Four-Goal Romp

July 11, 2020

Algeria 1 Nigeria 4

 

Nigeria finished third in the 2020 AFCON with a solid 4-1 win over Algeria.

 

The Super Eagles opened the tale early with Moses Simon heading a free kick into the back of the net.

 

Ahmed Musa nearly had a second on two separate occasions. The first needed a Rais M’Bohli save, while the second, a volley, flew over the bar.

 

Instead, Simon cut back from the left wing and nailed into the top corner, doubling the lead in the ninth minute.

 

However, Youcef Brahimi had different ideas, and brought the match back to a goal.

 

Not phased, Nigeria kept attacking. Ahmed Musa caught Algeria on the counter and eased the ball into the top corner, similarly to Simon’s second goal.

 

Musa nearly had a brace, and John Obi Mikel nearly had a goal from a free kick, but Algeria kept the Nigerians at bay.

 

After the break, Algeria gave away a penalty for a handball, and Oghenekaro Etebo fooled M’Bohli enough to send him the wrong way, before he changed it and kicked to the right, which the Algerian goalkeeper could not switch enough in time and dive to his fullest.

 

Algeria tried in vain to gain a second goal, but it was too little, too late, as Nigeria rounded out third place with a 4-1 victory.



© 2024 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

489 Views
Added on February 7, 2024
Last Updated on February 7, 2024

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing