Asian Cup R16 Match: 46 Minutes Sees Iran Score Three Against Afghanistan to Reach Quarters

Asian Cup R16 Match: 46 Minutes Sees Iran Score Three Against Afghanistan to Reach Quarters

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Round of 16 Match: Iran v Afghanistan

46 Minutes Sees Iran Score Three Against Afghanistan to Reach Quarters

January 18th, 2020

Iran 3 Afghanistan 1

 

A three-goal 46-minute display gave Iran the leg up over Afghanistan to secure a solid victory and momentum running into a Quarter Final Match against Australia.

 

Both sides remained relatively unchanged, particularly with Afghanistan’s major shift in their line-up after their win in their final group-stage match.

 

Fareed Sadat got the ball rolling for Afghanistan, needing his shot blocked and resulting in a corner. Noor Husin tried a similar tactic, cutting back from the left wing to the edge of the box and firing, only he missed the whole target. The referee deemed it a deflection, and so the corner fell eventually to Sadat, only for the Iranian goalkeeper, Alireza Beiranvand, to easily catch it.

 

Khaibar Amani had a great attempt when he was found by a long ball, only to hit the woodwork.

 

With five minutes left in the first half, Amani instead found the back of the net, after the ball was crossed in and a header finding Amani alone.

 

Noroallah Amiri should have doubled Afghanistan’s lead as he was found leading onto the ball, only to shoot to the left of goal.

 

Instead, it was Mehdi Taremi who won when he attacked, scoring and levelling the match.

 

Iran, utilising the momentum, soon had a second goal. Mehdi Torabi set up the ball onto Sardar Azmoun’s head, and he made no mistake in finding the gap between the goalkeeper and the post.

 

Ramin Rezaeian had a solid chance, only for the Afghani goalkeeper to parry it to his left.

 

More attacking play led to a 78th-minute goal by Milad Mohammadi as he led between the Afghani defence and then fired out of reach of the goalkeeper.

 

Substitute Ashkan Dejagah nearly had a fourth for Iran, only for his header from a cross to miss the mark. He then ran onto a through ball, only to gain a corner. From the corner, substitute Mohammad Reza Khanzadeh’s header did not find its way to the back of the net.

 

Nevertheless, the 3-1 scoreline was enough for Iran to progress, where they will take on Australia. As for Afghanistan, they are sure to fly up the world rankings and will look forward to their Nations League match later in the year against Bhutan.

 

Important aspects of the match:

Iran’s best: Torabi with his assist and most passes for Iran, Mohammadi with his goal, Taremi with his goal, Azmoun with his goal.

Mohammad Mohebi with the most dribbles for Iran.

Ahmad Nourollahi with three key intercepts and a clearance.

Morteza Pouraliganji with two key clearances, two intercepts and a block.

 

Afghanistan’s best: Amani with his goal, Milad Intezar in central defence with most dribbles for the match, Rahmatullah KhairKhah as defensive midfielder with equal most passes for the match, Husin with his assist.

Faisal Shayesteh with equal most passes for the match.

Mustafa Azadzoy with most tackles for the match.

Adam and David Najem both with three key clearances and two intercepts.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

21 Views
Added on June 14, 2020
Last Updated on June 14, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing