AFCON 2020 Match 12: Late Comoros Goal Causes Upset After Burkina Penalty Miss

AFCON 2020 Match 12: Late Comoros Goal Causes Upset After Burkina Penalty Miss

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

" The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020. "

"

AFCON 2020 Match 12: Burkina Faso v Comoros

Late Comoros Goal Causes Upset After Burkina Penalty Miss

June 18, 2020

Burkina Faso 0 Comoros 1

 

The island nation of Comoros opened their African Cup of Nations with a late Nadjim Abdou goal against Burkina Faso.

 

The west Africans looked dangerous early, though they could not produce an effective shot as the Comoran defence and goalkeeper, Ali Ahamada, often reached the ball first.

 

Abdou Razak Traoré had the first real shot on goal in the eleventh minute, found with a through ball from his namesake Alain Traoré; however, his shot flew to the right of goal.

 

Down the other end, Burkina’s goalkeeper, Hervé Kouakou Koffi, needed to dive on the ball that seemed to stick to the feet, initially, of a dangerous Abdou.

 

Back in the Burkina Faso attack, Bertrand Traoré hit the woodwork as he was found by an Abdou Razak through ball. Then, in the 33rd minute, confusion between all players involved took place as Aristide Bancé took a wild shot, missing easily to the right of goal.

 

Three minutes later, Jonathan Pitriopa went on a solo run from the right wing, only to also shoot wide to the right.

 

At halftime, the Burkina Faso coach made a surprise substitution in removing Bryan Dabo, possibly the best player of the first half in the defensive midfielder role, for Charles Kaboré. The Comoros side capitalised on this change, with Soulaimana Ibouniyamine earning a free kick and then making Koffi save the resulting shot. From the corner, Abdou hit the crossbar with his header, before the ball was cleared to safety.

 

Ibouniyamine then had a chance in the 53rd minute as he was found alone outside the box; Koffi reached him before the striker had a chance to chip the ball over and into goal.

 

Down the other end, Ahamada did the same to Alain Traoré, closing his shot before the striker had time. The difference, though, was the ball still remained free. Abdou Razak Traoré followed behind his namesake and took possession of the ball; as Soulaimana Malaga took the ball from Traoré, Ahamada collected his opponent in the shin, and the referee declared a penalty in favour of Burkina Faso. Alain Traoré took the penalty, kicking into the middle of the goal. Ahamada, though diving to his right, managed to knee the ball and save it from crossing the line. Mohamad Youssouf reached the rebound before the penalty taker and cleared to safety.

 

Frustrated, the west Africans kept up the pressure, only for the Comorans to hold firm. In the 74th minute, Bancé had a minor chance hit the side netting. Then, after the ball remained in the middle of the park for a lengthy period, Alain Traoré had a ping from long range, but the ball flew over the crossbar.

 

As the match trickled into additional time, the Comorans caught their opponents on a fast counterattack. Abdou and Ibouniyamine combined together, with Koffi saving the latter’s shot. Abdou took a touch off the rebound, then poked the ball beyond desperate Burkina Faso players into the back of the net, surprising everyone.

 

Burkina substitute Ismahila Ouédraogo had a final shot to salvage a draw, but, like Traoré’s shot, it rose high over the goal. Instead, the Comoros celebrated a grand and unlikely victory.

 

Important aspects of the match:

            Player of the Match Abdou with his additional time goal.

 

            Burkina Faso’s best was Steeve Yago at right back with most completed passes; Pitriopa with most dribble attempts overall.

Edmond Tapsoba with five key intercepts and two clearances.

 

            Comoros’ Abdou also had most passes for his side, three key intercepts and two clearances, as well as equal most dribble attempts alongside Ibouniyamine. Both had three shots on target.         

            Youssouf M'Changama had most tackles overall; Kassim M'Dahoma with three key clearances and two intercepts.

            Yellow card for Malaga, who also had three key clearances and an intercept.

 

Analysis

Burkina Faso will need the return of Lassina Franck Traoré if they are to have any chance of progressing from this group. Rumour has it he will not be available until their third game against Tunisia. Dabo will need to play a full game.

 

Comoros will keep their starting eleven, it seems, as they were not only able to hold off the Burkina Faso attacks, but did enough up front to trouble their opponents. They next face Tunisia who will be intent on gaining their first win.



© 2021 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on June 4, 2021
Last Updated on June 4, 2021

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing