Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
AFCON 2020 Match 18: Madagascar Win with Abel Goal

AFCON 2020 Match 18: Madagascar Win with Abel Goal

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

AFCON 2020 Match 18: Madagascar v Angola

Madagascar Win with Abel Goal

June 20, 2020

Madagascar 1 Angola 0

 

Player of the Match Anicet Abel’s 27th-minute goal proved the difference between Madagascar and Angola as the former gained a grasp on second place in Group C.

 

Neither side made any changes from their first match as they searched for their first AFCON 2020 win.

 

The Angolans looked more dangerous with the ball early before Madagascar eased into the game and took charge of the midfield for long periods. From there, they procured the first shot of the half, with Anicet Abel missing the open goal from long range after Angolan goalkeeper Tony Cabaça cleared the ball straight to him.

 

With a quarter of the match gone, Abel corrected his directional shooting, and when he received the ball in the attacking area from a choice pass, he shot with ease into the back of the net.

 

Dimitry Caloin tried twice to double the lead in the 31st minute, only to have both shots blocked.

 

Madagascar kept up the pressure for the remainder of the half, only to fail to get another shot on target.

 

After the break, Angola sought an equaliser, though Djalma’s left footer flew to the right of goal. Seven minutes later, Fredy Kulembé had his shot blocked. Then, as the hour mark approached, Geraldo should have scored, only for goalkeeper Melvin Adrien to halt the attempt and the follow through as well.

 

Herenilson was the next Angolan to line up for a shot, though it fell straight to Adrien. Kulembé got on the end of a cross from the right wing, only for Adrien to find the shot easy to save.

 

Kulembé had another chance in the 74th minute, though this time, he hit the woodwork. His replacement, Fábio Abreu, lost out in a one-on-one battle with Adrien, unable to chip the goalkeeper in time. From there, Madagascar cleared the ball, ensuring their first three points of the tournament.

 

Important aspects of the match:

            27th minute goal by Abel as Player of the Match.

 

            Madagascar’s best afield: Ibrahim Amada with most passes and equal most dribble attempts for Madagascar; Abel with equal most dribble attempts for Madagascar as well as four key intercepts; Romain Métanire at right back with most tackles for his side, as well as three key clearances and two intercepts.

            Adrien with six saves.

            Jérôme Mombris with three key intercepts and three clearances.

 

            Angola’s best afield: Herenilson with most passes and dribbles and equal most tackles overall; Show with equal most tackles overall.

            Isaac Correia with two key intercepts, two blocks and a clearance.

           

                 

 

Group C

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Ghana

2

2

0

0

6

+6

2

Madagascar

2

1

1

0

4

+1

3

Uganda

2

0

1

1

1

-4

4

Angola

2

0

0

2

0

-3

 

Angola must win their final match against Uganda to have any hope of making it to the Round of 16. As for Uganda, they need Ghana to defeat Madagascar, defeat Angola and hope to make up a goal difference of five in the process. A draw against Ghana for Madagascar will guarantee second place in the group. The question is will they be able to topple Ghana from top spot?



© 2022 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

20 Views
Added on January 9, 2022
Last Updated on January 9, 2022

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing