AFCON 2020 Match 15: Late Coulibaly Winner for Mali over São Tomé

AFCON 2020 Match 15: Late Coulibaly Winner for Mali over São Tomé

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

AFCON 2020 Match 15: São Tomé and Príncipe v Mali

Late Coulibaly Winner for Mali over São Tomé

June 19, 2020

São Tomé and Príncipe 1 Mali 2

 

Mali’s Lassana Coulibaly scored in the 89th minute against São Tomé to gift Mali their first win in the African Cup of Nations, having already drawn against hosts Egypt.

 

Mali made two changes from that first match, swapping the two Adama Traorés at right midfield, and bring in Falaye Sacko in defence for Molla Wagué. São Tomé’s side, on the other hand, remained unchanged after their win against the Sudan, hoping to continue that momentum.

 

Mali looked dangerous from the outset, and not only attacked, but also worked hard at keeping possession. That culminated in a thirteenth-minute goal for Diadie Samassékou, shooting back across himself with his right foot and hitting the inside of the post.

 

In the eighteenth minute, Abdoulay Diaby had a volley chance halted by São Tomé goalkeeper Primo. His next attempt, nine minutes later, also found the hands of the goalkeeper.

 

Diaby then crossed from the right wing in the next passage of play, reaching the head of Moussa Djenepo, whose attempt also flew straight to Primo.

 

Samassékou, though playing with an injured shoulder, managed until halftime where he was substituted.

 

São Tomé needed desperately to find a path to goal, and it seemed to take place via Joazhifel Soares. Instead, his shot flew wide of the mark.

 

Both sides wrestled for momentum in the second half, with São Tomé working both wings and Mali down the left. Mamadou Fofana had a shot at goal in the 84th minute, only for the ball to sail way over the goals.

 

Then, three minutes later, São Tomé substitute Eduardo Varela powered with his right from long range and curled the ball inside the right-hand post.

 

Once again, São Tomé had a crucial late goal, and Mali scrambled to gain the lead again. Amadou Haidara found himself with the ball near the penalty spot and shot with power, only for Primo to save the shot with his toes. The ball fell to Adama Traoré II, whose shot brought about another save with the other toes. São Tomé, however, failed to clear the ball, and as it bobbled in the box, Coulibaly stepped up to snag the winning goal.

 

Or so it would seem. São Tomé’s Capito should have equalised for his side in the dying seconds, only to miss across the face of goal.

 

Important aspects of the match:

            13th-minute goal by Samassékou

            87th-minute goal by Varela.

            89th-minute goal for Coulibaly to win the match.

São Tomé yellow card Luís Leal.

 

            Mali had six shots on target, compared with one.

            Possession even overall.

 

            Joazhifel Soares with most passes for São Tomé; Harramiz Soares with most successful dribbles for his side; Leonildo Soares with most tackles overall, three key intercepts and two clearances.

 

            Lassana Coulibaly with Player of the Match with the goal and most successful dribbles; Moussa Doumbia with most passes overall; Fofana with most tackles for Mali.

            Hamari Traoré with three key clearances and two intercepts.

                 

 

Group A

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Egypt

2

1

1

0

4

+2

2

Mali

2

1

1

0

4

+1

3

São Tomé and Príncipe

2

1

0

1

3

0

4

Sudan

2

0

0

2

0

-3

 

Egypt next take on São Tomé and Príncipe as they seek a second victory, this guaranteeing qualification for the Round of 16. Mali will hope for the same against the Sudan. There is no way for the Sudanese to make it out of the group stages, due to their loss to São Tomé. São Tomé can reach the top two if they defeat Egypt. The likelihood is they will remain in third and will await results in other groups to see if two third-placed nations produce worse results than them.



© 2021 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

68 Views
Added on September 17, 2021
Last Updated on September 17, 2021

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing