AFCON 2020 Match 1: Mali Hold Hosts to Draw in Tournament Opener

AFCON 2020 Match 1: Mali Hold Hosts to Draw in Tournament Opener

A Chapter by Steve Clark

AFCON 2020 Match 1: Egypt v Mali

Mali Hold Hosts to Draw in Tournament Opener

June 14, 2020

Egypt 1 Mali 1

 

Mali have crushed Egyptian hopes by keeping Egypt to a one-all draw in the African Cup of Nations opening match.

 

The opening match of the AFCON was poised to be a cracking match, with Mali hoping to do everything in their power to hold the hosts to a draw.

 

The first ten minutes saw both sides feeling each other out as each nation wanted to start on the right note.

 

Moussa Djenepo opened the scoring for Mali, coming in from right midfield and shooting around the Egyptian goalkeeper, Mohamed El Shenamy. This shocked the Egyptians as their initial game plan went out the window, needing to find a way to goal.

 

Abdoulay Diabym, instead, sought a second with a header chance, only he was too far out as he had to backtrack from the cross coming in from the right wing.

 

Egypt slowly wrestled back momentum and gained an advantage towards the latter part of the half, although the Malian defence held firm.

 

In the 66th minute, with Mohamed Salah trying to gain an advantage in the midfield, and doing so placed a through ball to substitute Ahmed Hassan, only for Hassan to miss to the right.

 

The reverse took place five minutes later, but Salah missed to the right as well.

 

Ahmed El Fetouh came off the bench and dribbled from the left side of the field, shooting straight to goalkeeper Djigui Diarra. This was a sign of things to come.

 

Getting desperate for a goal, the hosts countered with El Fetouh sending a through ball to his fellow substitute Mahmoud Hassan, who made no mistake with his left boot.

 

On equal terms, a through ball found Malian substitute Adama Traoré II, only for Mohamed El Shenamy to close him down.

 

El Fetouh thought he had the winner with seconds left in additional time, only to be deemed offside.

 

In the end, Mali gained everything they wanted for the match, and Egypt’s crowd exemplified the feeling of the Egyptians as they walked off, knowing they missed an opportunity to commence a grand campaign.

 

Important aspects of the match:

Djenepo scoring in the 15th minute.

Substitute Hassan scoring in the 77th minute.

 

Egypt played through balls more often than working down the wings and crossing in. Perhaps varying their attacks could have worked.

 

Egypt’s best afield: Tarek Hamed in defensive midfield with four intercepts; Mahmoud Hassan with his goal; Salah with equal most tackles overall; Mahmoud Alaa in central defence.

Mohamed El Neny with most passes and dribbles overall as well as equal most tackles overall.

Ayman Ashraf with four key intercepts and a clearance. Was fouled once.

Ramy Rabia on right back with three key intercepts and two clearances.

Trezeguet may start on the bench for the next match, giving El Fetouh or Hassan a chance to work down the left wing.

 

Mali’s best afield: Djenepo with his goal and equal most tackles overall; Youssouf Koné at left back keeping Salah in check; Diaby up front with most dribbles for Mali; Mamadou Fofana in central defence.

Moussa Doumbia with most passes for Mali.

Adama Traoré I worked tirelessly to get his crosses in from the right but must improve. His namesake may take his spot.

Molla Wagué, in spite of a potential injury, had four key clearances and two intercepts.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on June 16, 2020
Last Updated on June 16, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing