Asian Cup Round of 16 Match: Japan Keep Indonesia Away from Goal to Progress to Quarters

Asian Cup Round of 16 Match: Japan Keep Indonesia Away from Goal to Progress to Quarters

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Round of 16 Match: Japan v Indonesia

Japan Keep Indonesia Away from Goal to Progress to Quarters

January 17th, 2020

Japan 1 Indonesia 0

 

Japan’s defence ensured no Indonesian shots were on target as they scored in the second half to gain a Quarter Final berth.

 

Genki Haraguchi had the first shot on goal, only for it to be blocked. Yosuke Ideguchi’s diving header, from the resulting corner, needed a clearance at the near post.

 

In the 25th minute, Japan won a free kick, only for Haraguchi’s header to be too weak to defeat the Indonesian goalkeeper, Muhammad Ridho.

 

Two minutes later, Musashi Suzuki had a volleying chance after Kensuke Nagai crossed from the right wing, only for the defence to hold firm. Hotaru Yamaguchi had a chance from outside the box, but there was not enough penetrating power. Takumi Minamino should have scored in the 34th minute after Haraguchi set him up right in front of the 18-yard box, only to miss to the left.

 

Ideguchi also missed to the left after a great team display of passing, much to the dismay of the Japanese coach.

 

Nagai then combined with Minamino, with Minamino’s run slicing the defence to meet the through ball, only for Ridho to make a save with his left boot.

 

In the next passage of play, Haraguchi had two more attempts, with the ball ending safely in the hands of Ridho.

 

The surprise substitution came when Haraguchi was replaced by Hiroke Abe at halftime.

 

This propelled the Japanese to score, with Nagai first hitting the right-hand post, before Minamino followed it up and secured the lead.

 

Nagai then had a chance minutes later, only for Ridho to hold firm and parry for a corner.

 

Much of the rest of the match was played in the middle, with Indonesia improving in their attacking play, hoping to snag a way beyond the Japanese defence.

 

In additional time, Ayase Ueda had a shot with his first touch, only to follow in his teammates’ trajectories and miss to the left.

 

The final whistle blew, and Japan celebrated their spot in the Quarter Finals, while Indonesia can hold firm knowing they are classed a formidable Asian side.

 

Important aspects of the match:

Fourteen Japanese shots, but only seven on target.

Japan’s best: Minamino with his goal and equal most tackles for the match, Yuki Kobayashi in central defence with two key intercepts and two clearances, Nagai with most passes and dribbles overall, Naomichi Ueda at left back with three key intercepts and a clearance.

Suzuki with three key intercepts and a clearance.

 

No shots on goal for Indonesia.

Indonesia’s best: Ridho as Player of the Match with eight saves, Rudolof Basna in central defence with five key intercepts, three clearances and a block.

Teuku Ichsan with most passes for Indonesia and equal most successful dribbles for Indonesia, as well as two intercepts and two key clearances.

Irfan Bachdim with equal most successful dribbles for Indonesia.

Bayu Andriatmoko with equal most tackles for the match and three clearances before sustaining a calf injury late in the match.

Ricky Fajrin with four key clearances.

Hendro Siswanto with three key clearances and an intercept.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on June 14, 2020
Last Updated on June 14, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing