Asian Cup Match 12: Asian Rivals Thailand and Malaysia Battle in Group F

Asian Cup Match 12: Asian Rivals Thailand and Malaysia Battle in Group F

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Match 12: Thailand v Malaysia

Asian Rivals Thailand and Malaysia Battle in Group F

January 6th, 2020

Thailand 2 Malaysia 0


Thailand’s two goals from midfielders Sarach Yooyen have set up a solid win over neighbours Malaysia in their first 2020 Asian Cup match.

 

Thailand had an early chance to take the lead, with Teerasil Dangda crossing in from the left to Chanathip Songkrasin. However, the latter did not get any purchase on the ball. Had Songkrasin done so, he would have scored, since Malaysian goalkeeper Khairulazhan Khalid was out of position.

 

Songkrasin them worked down the right wing, crossing long to Supachok Sarachat on the opposite wing. His pass found Dangda alone, but his sliding shot missed the mark by a metre.

 

Sarachat also crossed in the 22nd minute to Dangda, whose volley was blocked. The ball fell to Ekanit Panya, but somehow Khalid stopped the shot.

 

Upping the ante, Dangda made a one-two pass with Phitiwat Sukjitthammakul, only for Khalid to rise to the shot. Dangda’s corner found Panya above all the other players, but the ball hit the top of the crossbar and bobbled out of play.

 

Instead, it was the unlikeliest midfielder who scored first. Yooyen was found in the box, and as he turned the Malaysian defenders inside-out, he coolly slotted with his left out of reach of Khalid.

 

Buoyed by having the all-important lead, Thailand went in search for a second goal. Sarachat’s two shots needed two Khalid saves. From the corner, Dangda found Yooyen and he was too good as he headed the ball powerfully into the net.

 

A third goal for the half nearly came in a carbon copy from the first corner, but once again, Panya’s header flew over the bar. Then, multiple attempts on goal did not cross the line as Khalid and his back four held on for dear life. Lastly, Songkrasin went on a solo run, though his shot was not powerful enough to outsmart Khalid.

 

The sweet relief of the halftime whistle meant Malaysia could recoup and readjust. They introduced a back five after the break to stem the Thai attacks. It was not needed, however, in the opening minutes of the second half as Akhyar Rashid had Malaysia’s first attempt on goal. From the resulting corner, the ball eventually fell to Syamer Kutty Abba, whose shot was blocked. The ball trickled to striker Mohamadou Sumareh, who missed to the right of the goal.

 

Thai substitute Supachai Jaided had a chance in the 70th minute, only to lose possession at the critical moment. As the game deepened, Sarachat made some choice moves around defenders before finding Sukjitthammakul, who hit the right-hand post. Thailand ended the match with the two goals but will feel they should have had a third.

 

Important aspects:

Thailand’s best: Narubadin Weerawatnodom working down from right back and making three key intercepts; Yooyen with a brace and most shots on target; Manuel Bihr in central defence.

Dangda and Sukjitthammakul with the assists.

Punya with most shots overall.

Sarachat with most passes (including four key passes) and successful dribbles overall.

Sukjitthammakul with the most tackles.

 

Malaysia’s best: Khalid earning Player of the Match with nine saves; Syahmi Safari working down the right wing in the second half with second-most equal most passes for Malaysia.

Kutty Abba with the most passes for Malaysia and most dribbles alongside Mohamad Abd Radzak.

Brendan Gan with most tackles for the match (same as Sukjitthammakul) and three key intercepts.

Radzak and Sharul Saad with four key clearances and a block.



© 2020 Steve Clark


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on March 21, 2020
Last Updated on March 21, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing