CONCACAF Gold Cup Group B Matches

CONCACAF Gold Cup Group B Matches

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

A summary of 2020 matches in Global Futbol.

"

CONCACAF Gold Cup Group B Matches

Jamaica Raises their Claim on Gold Cup Final with Comeback Win

October 29, 2020

Guatemala v Jamaica

 

Jamaica, needing to improve after their poor Copa America performance, came from behind to defeat Guatemala.

 

The Reggae Boyz sought to work down the right wing, only to have no shots claimed on goal.

 

Wilson Pineda, however, scored for Guatemala after a solid press from the team in blue and white. His deft shot easily outsmarted a diving Andre Blake.

 

Jamaica had a chance late in the first half, after earning back momentum of the match. Shamar Nicholson had the last touch after quick passes through the Guatemalan defence, only to hit the side netting.

 

Instead, Nicholson found the goal with his head late in additional time, with the ball crossed in from the right wing. Rising above his marking man, the striker ensured the ball stayed out of reach of the Guatemalan goalkeeper, drawing the match level again.

 

The second half seemed to drop in intensity, before a 63rd-minute shot on goal by Rodrigo Savaria flew wide.

 

Two injuries to defenders saw Guatemala make changes they would not normally, though it failed to deter their efforts. A break down the left wing saw the passes culminate in a shot by José Martínez hitting the woodwork.

 

Jamaica immediately countered, and with Guatemala unable to get their structure in order, Tyreek Magee made the most of a poor goalkeeping pass and scored.

 

With only three minutes remaining, Guatemala attacked the right back of Jamaica, only for the team in green and black to hold firm for a come-from-behind win.

Costa Rica Score Five to Set up Gold Cup Potential

October 29, 2020

Costa Rica v Bermuda

 

Costa Rica sought a solid first win over Bermuda, scoring five goals with ease and setting up a likely path to the Gold Cup Final.

 

The Central Americans started with a bang, scoring in the eighth minute via through ball to Alonso Martínez, who out-muscled his marking man and rolled the ball into the back of the net.

 

Celso Borges tried doubling the lead with a long-range shot, only to miss to the right. Instead, Martínez showed him how it is done from distance with a cracking left footer.

 

Martínez nearly had a hat trick when he volleyed against the post in the 31st minute. With Costa Rica on top of the game, Bermuda had little answers to the problems the Costa Ricans provided.

 

That became more apparent when Borges assisted a through ball to the leading Mayron George Clayton, who slotted beyond a diving goalkeeper.

 

David Guzman tried for four goals inside forty minutes, only to punt straight to the Bermuda keeper with his first attempt, and a second blocked with ease.

 

After the break, Bermuda closely marked Martínez, only to leave Borges free to lead onto a cross with no defenders near him and make it four goals for Costa Rica in the 74th minute. Furthermore, Clayton found gaps in the defence where the Bermudans over-catered for Martínez, again, scoring with no markers near him.

 

Razir Smith-Jones had an attempt in injury time, only to header straight to a goalkeeper who hardly had to work for the game. Instead, Costa Rica started with aplomb and set up their opportunities to win the competition.

Bermuda and Jamaica All-Square in Tight Contest

November 2, 2020

Bermuda v Jamaica

 

Bermuda and Jamaica played out a one-all draw in a hot contest in their second match of the Gold Cup.

 

Jamaica made one change at right back, while Bermuda kept their same line up. That unusual decision, in spite of losing 5-0, paid off as in the eleventh minute, Kole Hall slid home a goal in the bottom left-hand corner of the goal to give his side the early lead.

 

Jamaica had to work back into the match, starting with a wayward shot from Bobby De Cordova-Reid. Jamaica had the momentum of the first half, only for Leon Bailey to also miss in similar fashion.

 

In the second half, Bermuda played according to their lead, holding onto the ball for long periods of time, enticing Jamaica to press up and therefore create gaps. It seemed like substitute Kane Crichlow would score, only to give a small effort in his shot.

 

That gave Jamaica a sniff, and they attacked with relent, enabling De Cordova-Reid to net home from close range.

 

The match, all square, left the final nine minutes a frenzied finish, only for the frenzy to take place in the middle of the park. A draw was not what either team wanted, and set up Group B for an intriguing finish.

 

Costa Rica in Box Seat for Gold Cup Final with Win over Guatemala

November 2, 2020

Guatemala v Costa Rica

 

Costa Rica have created the best opportunity for them to advance to the Gold Cup Final, after a solid second-half performance over Guatemala.

 

Guatemala made three changes, while Costa Rica kept the same line-up.

 

Guatemala, however, scored early with a one-on-one contest between José Martínez and the Costa Rican goalkeeper, with the former chipping the latter into the open net in the twelfth minute.

 

Right on the half-hour, Guatemala ramped up their pressing game, resulting in another shot by Martínez, only for the ball to sail wide.

 

Then, nearing halftime, in almost a carbon copy of the goal, Martínez chipped, only to hit the woodwork.

 

Costa Rica started the second half with a bang, with Alonso Martínez crossing to Borges, who slotted home the volley off the post and into the goal.

 

Borges then showed how pressing up against the defence works and scored his second goal for the match.

 

Borges then outsmarted on the right flank, toying with his opponents, before crossing perfectly to Joel Campbell, whose perfect header made the score 3-1.

 

Marvin Angulo then had an attempt in the 78th minute, only for the ball to trickle wide of the mark. His follow-up header from a cross seven minutes later needed a denying save.

 

Guatemala put in the pressure on in additional time, scoring after two previous attempts were blocked. Denniss López came running in from the right wing to shoot a loose ball into the back of the net.

 

However, Costa Rica held on for the 3-2 victory.

Second Draw for Bermuda Against Guatemala

November 6, 2020

Bermuda v Guatemala

 

Bermuda gained their second draw and Guatemala their first point for the Gold Cup in a match that sorted out the bottom two placings of Group B.

 

Guatemala made changes due to injuries, while Bermuda remained unchanged. Unable to make the Final, Guatemala instead sought to ensure Bermuda could not reach second place. Bermuda, on the other hand, needed to win by a great margin and hope Jamaica lost as well.

 

Lejaun Simmons had the early chance to score for Bermuda, flicking on a long free kick with his head out of range of the goal. Bermuda’s defence has matured since the 5-0 loss to Costa Rica, developed during the Jamaica draw, and made sure Guatemala had no shots on target for the first half.

 

However, neither did they. Finally, Guatemala found the gap they needed, and scored via Edi Guerra.

 

Bermuda made changes and soon had an equaliser through Jordan Outerbridge, that set up the final fifteen minutes for a showdown. Both sides, however, were thwarted by offsides and blocks, thus ending the match in a 1-1 draw.

Scoreless Draw Sends Costa Rica to Face USA in Gold Cup Final

November 6, 2020

Jamaica v Costa Rica

 

Costa Rica played out a scoreless draw against Jamaica to ensure a showdown against the Americans in the Gold Cup Final.

 

Jamaica needed to draw to secure second place, while Costa Rica wanted to secure three wins and all the momentum for the tournament’s showpiece match.

 

Adrian Mariappa had the early chance thwarted by the Costa Rican defence. Jamaica’s Tyreek Magee also hit the defence with his shot. Down the other end, Angulo hit the bottom of the post with his effort, while his later attempt had the Jamaican defence sliding all over the place to block his shot.

 

Jamaica’s Nicholson tried a low shot from outside the box, but to no avail. Instead, De Cordova-Reid had the best chance in a one-on-one attempt needing a deft save.

 

Angulo kept up the attacking pressure for Costa Rica with another shot saved, as did Campbell’s effort. Nicholson needed the Costa Rican goalkeeper to make the necessary save.

 

After the break, Campbell and Angulo both had chances go begging; Campbell could not effectively chip the goalkeeper, and Angulo’s follow-up shot missed the mark.

 

As the match wore on, Costa Rica had the better of the ball, but frustration started to creep in, including Giancarlo Gonzalez with a yellow card. That frustration grew as substitute José Ortiz had his shot blocked by the goalkeeper’s foot, and Campbell missed the rebound.

 

Costa Rica kept up the attacking pressure, only for Jamaica to hold firm and both sides exhausted after a testing match. Costa Rica, however, advanced to the Final.

 

 

 

Group B

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Costa Rica

3

2

1

0

7

+6

2

Jamaica

3

1

2

0

5

+1

3

Bermuda

3

0

2

1

2

-5

4

Guatemala

3

0

1

2

1

-2

 



© 2023 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on September 20, 2023
Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing