AFCON 2020 Round of 16 Matches Seven and Eight

AFCON 2020 Round of 16 Matches Seven and Eight

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

AFCON 2020 Round of 16 Matches Seven and Eight

July 1, 2020

 

Algeria 2 Comoros 1

 

Algeria held off a fast-finishing Comoran side to advance to the AFCON 2020 Quarter Finals.

 

The first part of the Algeria-Comoros match on July 1st was a tight tussle in midfield before Islam Slimani took control of the ball in the box, defeated his opponents, and snagged a goal from a tight angle.

 

The Comorans attempted to wrestle back a goal, with Youssouf M'Changama ending up with the ball in the box. His shot, however, ended up in the crowd.

 

In the 21st minute, Ibroihim Youssouf had a shot from a similar angle, though on the opposite side of the box, saved by Rais M’Bohli. Later, M'Changama tried a header from a similar spot, only to miss to the right of goal.

 

Down the other end, Ismaël Bennacer had a chance to double the lead, but with tight defence, his shot landed to the left of goal.

 

Youssouf, in the 33rd minute, had a chance half-blocked by his direct opponent. From that moment on, Algeria knew the Comoran game plan and intercepted any loose passes. Meanwhile, Algeria’s advances down left midfield resulted in too many offsides.

 

After the break, Slimani almost found Riyad Mahrez in the box; the Comoran goalkeeper was up to the task in reaching the ball first. However, Algeria eased off until the 73rd minute, when Slimani caught a header onto a free kick cross and made no mistake.

 

Mohamed Belaili and Player of the Match Slimani both had shots to further the lead, though good saves from the Comoran goalkeeper halted that notion.

 

As additional time trickled in, Comoros found themselves only a goal behind as substitute El Fardou Ben Nabouhane scored in a one-on-one battle with M’Bohli.

 

However, there was not enough time, and Algeria fought through the scare to win 2-1, and progress to the Quarter Finals.

 

South Africa 1 Angola 1; South Africa wins 3-1 in extra time

 

South Africa needed extra time to overcome the steely resolve of Angola in the final Round of 16 match.

 

Bafana Bafana made minor changes to their side to face Angola, and quickly looked to attack. South Africa’s first attempt was a miss, but Hlompho Kekana and his teammates looked dangerous early.

 

The match petered into a battle in the midfield, before Themba Zwane had a peek at goal, though his low shot missed the mark. Similarly, Lebo Mothiba’s shot from a cross hit the advertising behind the goals.

 

Kamohelo Mokotjo had the next best attempt as he was teed up outside the box, but it seemed for the South Africans that a magnet was attached to the ball, as his shot also flew to the left of goal. Zwane had the last kick of the first half, though his shot did not curl back and missed to the right of goal.

 

Without a shot on target, the second half was going to be a tight affair. Percy Tau also could not get on target as he missed his header from a corner to the right of goal.

 

Angola worked into the match, sensing a potential upset, and Geraldo and Fredy Kulembé both had shots blocked. However, the latter managed to get onto a cross in the 67th minute and give the Angolans the unlikely lead in the match.

 

The lead was short-lived as South African substitute Teboho Mokoena went on a great solo run around the Angolan defence and quickly brought the game level again.

 

From the kick off, Angola went on the attack to restore the lead and Geraldo nearly pulled off a great goal, only missing slightly to the right.

 

South Africa looked dangerous again in attack, only to fluff around with too many passes. Then, Angolan substitute Wilson Eduardo tried from outside the box to win the match late, but to no avail.

 

South Africa decided putting the match to rest early in extra time was the only way to go, and Mokotjo and substitute Bongani Zungu combined to give the former a shot on goal. Though the Angolan goalkeeper made the initial save, Mokotjo followed it up with a sliding shot, rolling the ball over the line.

 

Mokotjo then set up a cross from the right wing for substitute Kamohelo Mahlatsi, who rose above and headed, hitting the underside of the crossbar. In the process, Mahlatsi was fouled, and a penalty awarded. Mothiba made no mistake from the spot, giving the South Africans a two-goal lead.

 

Player of the Match Mokotjo had another shot on goal, though it was of a low chance of ever making it in.

 

The second period of extra time petered out, even though Eduardo had a shot at the end; it all came to nought as South Africa pulled off a lucky but deserved win. They now take on Algeria in the Quarter Finals.



© 2024 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

438 Views
Added on February 4, 2024
Last Updated on February 4, 2024

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5