AFCON 2020 Match 22: Gambian Draw Puts Nigeria on Brink of Early Exit

AFCON 2020 Match 22: Gambian Draw Puts Nigeria on Brink of Early Exit

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

AFCON 2020 Match 22: Gambia v Nigeria

Gambian Draw Puts Nigeria on Brink of Early Exit

June 22, 2020

Gambia 1 Nigeria 1

 

Nigeria face a tough test to progress to the AFCON Round of 16 after Gambia’s Dawda Ngum’s 78th-minute goal needed a desperate Odion Ighalo equaliser for Nigeria to gain their first point of the tournament.

 

Ighalo started on the bench for the Nigerians after last week’s loss to South Africa, while the Gambian coach maintained the same starting eleven from their 1-1 result against Chad.

 

Much of the first half saw the underdogs being more volatile in attack; Nigeria looked lethargic and unbecoming in their play.

 

In spite of the disparity, it was the Nigerians who first had a shot on target. Oghenekaro Etebo fired on goal with his right foot, bringing into play Gambian goalkeeper Moudou Jobe. From the resulting corner, William Ekong had a header, only to fire wide of the mark.

 

Ighalo’s replacement from the previous match, Samuel Kalu, had a chance, though the Gambian defence placed enough pressure on him that his attempt flew away from goal instead of toward.

 

Nigeria should have had the opener in the 43rd minute, with Samuel Chukwueze crossing to Kalu. Jobe parried the header, only for the ball to bounce straight to Alex Iwobi. Iwobi hit the woodwork, then had his follow-up shot saved, before the ball was eventually cleared.

 

The Gambians took a risk and made two surprise changes at halftime. It mattered little for a period as Nigeria ramped up the pressure. Kalu missed a gettable goal with his head from a corner. Iwobi then missed to the left when he should have scored. Etebo took a shot from long range, requiring another Jobe save.

 

With twelve minutes remaining, Gambian pressure and a lack of clearances from the Nigerian defence culminated in a goal for Ngum, as he remained one kick behind his teammates. Collecting a poor clearance, he shot with vigour, and sent the Gambian sections of the crowd into pure jubilation.

 

Sensing their AFCON campaign going down the sink, Iwobi’s replacement, Moses Simon, had a fiery shot blast way over the crossbar. Ahmed Musa missed to the left, and Ighalo, off the bench, missed to the right.

 

Finally, as all seemed lost, Ighalo was the final piece of a Nigerian fast break, with a flat and direct shot kept away from an advancing Jobe, and the match was all square.

 

Nigeria sought a late winner, but there was not enough time, but managed to, at least, salvage a draw and a vital point going into the third Match Day.

 

Important aspects of the match:

            Player of the Match Ngum’s 78th-minute goal.

            Ighalo’s additional time goal.

            The Gambia’s two shots on target from two.

            Nigeria had only five shots on target from thirteen attempts.

            The Gambia had 54% possession.

            The Gambia had 80% pass accuracy compared with Nigeria’s 67%.

 

            Gambia’s best afield: Jobe with five saves; Omar Colley in central defence with most dribbles overall, three key intercepts, two clearances and a block; Sulayman Bojang with most passes overall; Ngum with equal most tackles overall.

            Bubacarr Sanneh with five key clearances and three intercepts.

            Ebrima Sohna with four key intercepts and a clearance.

 

            Nigeria’s best afield: Chukwueze with two key passes; Musa with most passes for Nigeria; Jamilu Collins at left back with most dribbles for Nigeria and equal most tackles overall.

            Kenneth Omeruo and Ekong with three key intercepts and two clearances each.

 

 

Group E

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

South Africa

2

2

0

0

6

+3

2

Gambia

2

0

2

0

2

0

3

Chad

2

0

1

1

1

-1

4

Nigeria

2

0

1

1

1

-2

 

Nigeria must defeat Chad and hope that South Africa, who is already guaranteed first place in the group, ties or defeats the Gambia. Chad will hope for a win, but against a Nigerian side furious with themselves, it seems unlikely. The Gambia, with a draw, may still sneak into the Round of 16, but will look to defeat South Africa.



© 2022 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27 Views
Added on April 14, 2022
Last Updated on April 14, 2022

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing