Asian Cup Quarter Final Match: Another UAE Victory with Late Winner to Reach Semi Finals

Asian Cup Quarter Final Match: Another UAE Victory with Late Winner to Reach Semi Finals

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Quarter Final Match: UAE v Kuwait

Another UAE Victory with Late Winner to Reach Semi Finals

January 22nd, 2020

UAE 2 Kuwait 1

 

The United Arab Emirates pulled another victory, this time over Kuwait, to reach the Semi Finals of the Asian Cup.

 

Both sides altered their sides, including Kuwait, who needed to quickly turn things around after having been taken to penalties by Saudi Arabia.

 

Kuwait knew they needed a goal early, and in the twelfth minute, Ahmed Zanki set up Yousef Nasser, only for the striker to not capitalise on the defensive errors around him.

 

Down the other end, Omar Abdulrahman chipped the Kuwaiti goalkeeper, Hameed Youssuf, only for the ball to sail to the left of goal.

 

Nasser had a second chance, and this time Khalid Eisa parried it away. Faisal Ajab latched onto the ball, but his shot was far too weak.

 

Faisal Al Harbi then was found with a through ball, only for Eisa to make the ball fly over the bar.

 

On a counter, Ahmed Khalil’s shot needed the foot of Youssuf to stop it going over the goal line. Kuwait then countered and scored as Al Harbi raced to meet the ball on the left-hand side of the 18-yard box, before cutting the ball back to Bader Al Mutawa, who slowed his run and stunted the ball into the back of the net.

 

The final ninr minutes of the half were tricky for both sides, but the Kuwaiti defensive formation held firm.

 

After the break, UAE’s Khalil found Mohamad Al Attas’ head, only for the ball to fly straight to Youssuf.

 

Khalil then led in between the central defenders onto a ball and hit first time. Youssuf did get purchase on it, but the pure power meant the ball bobbled over the line.

 

With the match all square, both sides fought tirelessly in the middle, before Khalil had a similar run as before, only a mirror image. However, this time, he was unable to score.

 

Abdulrahman then had a shot late, which perhaps he should have scored to win the match, only to miss to the left.

 

Instead, Abdulrahman set up the winning goal, crossing into Ismail Al Hammadi, who leant back and guided his header into the back of the net.

 

The whistle blew soon after and the hosts joined the Philippines in the Semi Finals. Kuwait, meanwhile, can hold their heads high in the knowledge they are in the top eight Asian sides and will look forward to the World Cup Qualifiers in March.

 

Important aspects of the match:


UAE’s best: Al Hammadi with the additional time goal and assist to Khalil earlier in the second half; Khalil with his goal and two other shots on target as well as most passes for his side and equal most dribbles overall; Al Attas; Abdulrahman with his assist.

Abdalla Ramadan and Yousif Jaber with most tackles overall.

Mohamed Saleh with three key intercepts and two clearances.

 

 

Kuwait’s best: Youssuf with six saves; Ajab with equal most dribbles overall; Al Mutawa with his goal.

Nasser with most passes overall.

Dhari Said with equal most tackles overall.

Fahad Al Hajeri with three key intercepts, two clearances and a block.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

17 Views
Added on June 15, 2020
Last Updated on June 15, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing