AFCON 2020 Matches 31 and 32: Madagascar v Ghana and Angola v Uganda

AFCON 2020 Matches 31 and 32: Madagascar v Ghana and Angola v Uganda

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

AFCON 2020 Matches 31 and 32: Madagascar v Ghana and Angola v Uganda

Final Group Game Draw Between Madagascar and Ghana

June 24, 2020

Madagascar 2 Ghana 2

 

Madagascar and Ghana ended their final group game in a draw, allowing both sides to take the top two spots in Group C.

 

To top the group, Madagascar needed a win, and thus made no changes. Neither did Ghana as they appeared to have the winning formula for the AFCON.

 

In fact, Ghana had the upper hand early, only to have their shots slowed down by defensive blocks. This would not perturb the Ghanaians, as in the eighth minute, Samuel Owusu scored when found alone with a through ball in the box. His cool finish sent the Ghanaian section of the crowd into raptures.

 

Owusu should have scored a second after getting first to the rebound from Melvin Adrien’s save off Emmanuel Boateng’s initial shot. However, his shot flew to the left of goal.

 

In the 20th minute, both Ayew brothers combined for a near-goal, with Andre setting up Jordan for a header that also drifted to the left of goal.

 

Down the other end, Madagascar finally gained an edge on the Ghanaian defence, as Dimitry Caloin had a ping to bring a deft save from Richard Ofori.

 

From a corner, though, Ghana’s Owusu had his brace, heading over his marking man after Andre Ayew’s header was first saved by Adrien.

 

Unfortunately for Ghana moving forward, Ayew was injured in that contest, and only made it to halftime before being substituted.

 

Nevertheless, the remainder of the first half saw more Ghanaian attacks, as Thomas Partey looked to score twice, only to hit the ball straight to Adrien on the first, while the second brought about a diving save. Ghana felt on top of the match.

 

This powerful series of plays continued in the second half, with Jordan Ayew solo-running and nearly scoring; Adrien once again came to the fore.

 

Madagascar, though, countered via Caloin, and as he ran down the right wing, crossed and found Carolus Andriamatsinoro in the box. Though Ofori got purchase on the ball, the header was too strong, and Madagascar had a goal back.

 

One minute later, Caloin had his deserved goal as he chipped over Ofori, after being sent the perfect through ball.

 

The match all square, neither defence would give an inch. That resulted in Ghana’s Boatend taking a shot from long range, where the ball smacked against the crossbar.

 

Down the other end, Madagascar’s attackers played quick passes to gift Faneva Imà Andriatsima a shot; the ball was punted to the right of goal.

 

Neither side threw enough forward to win the match, for fear of losing, and so the match ended 2-2.

 

Important aspects of the match:

            Owusu’s brace in the 8th and 29th minutes.

            Andriamatsinoro in the 53rd minute.

            54th-minute equaliser by Caloin.

            Yellow card to Mubarak Wakaso.

            Nine shots on target to three.

 

            Madasgascar’s best afield: Player of the Match Adrien with nine saves; Andriamatsinoro with his goal; Caloin with his goal and assist as well as most dribbles for his side.

            Ibrahim Amada with most passes for his side.

            Anicet Abel with most tackles for his side.

            Thomas Fontaine with two blocks, two key clearances and an intercept.

            Romain Métanire with four key clearances and two intercepts.

 

            Ghana’s best afield: Owusu with his brace; Andre Ayew playing in the first half only with his assist; Afriyie Acquah coming off the bench and playing at right midfield.

            Boateng with most passes and dribbles for Ghana.

            Wakaso with most tackles for his side.

            John Boye with two key intercepts and two clearances.

 

 

Angola Gain First Points of the Tournament as Elimination Loomed for Them and Uganda

Angola 2 Uganda 1

 

Angola received their first points of AFCON 2020 as they downed Uganda, resulting in both sides being eliminated for the knockout stages.

 

Angola and Uganda, prior to the match, sought to gain some pride from their final match; Uganda had a chance of progressing to the Round of 16 with a victory, however, Angola would not go down without a fight.

 

Both sides looked dangerous down their respective right wings, only for Angola’s Djalma to have the first shot on target parried away by Charles Lukwago. From the resulting corner, the header of Mateus came to nought as it flew over the crossbar.

 

Mateus looked lively working down the left wing. Soon the Angolans had the momentum, leading to Geraldo’s shot hitting the bar, before Herenilson reached the ball first, only to realise he was offside from Geraldo’s original shot.

 

Down the other end, Emmanuel Okwi and Patrick Kaddu had half chances go begging as the Angolan defence held firm.

 

Counterattacking in the 29th minute, Geraldo was found with a long through ball. He raced down the left-hand side of the pitch, before nailing the ball into the back of the net from a tight angle.

 

Sensing they had a chance to make the Round of 16, Angola attacked again, with Geraldo feeding a cross to Fredy Kulembé. However, the weak shot fell straight to Lukwago.

 

The second shot was far better, with placement outside of Lukwago’s reach. This time, the cross came from Mateus, with Kulembé’s volley finding the back of the net, even with mounting pressure from his marking man.

 

Geraldo then tried adding another goal right before the break, as his shot needed a choice defensive block.

 

After the break, Uganda needed three comeback goals to make the Round of 16. However, it seemed insurmountable as the second half progressed, with less and less time and the urgency of the moment getting to the players.

 

Finally, Uganda had a goal after pressuring the defence for most of the second half. In the 78th minute, Substitute Luwagga Kizito set up a perfect cross to Khalid Aucho, who made no mistake from eight yards out.

 

Angola still needed another goal to level with São Tomé and Príncipe’s goal difference and goals scored, as the assistant coaches ran to the records to see who might progress in the case of a tie for third-placed sides.

 

However, Uganda had other ideas and brought on an extra striker, leading to a shot from Kaddu at the death. Kizito then won a free kick, though his shot was wide of the mark.

 

The whistle blew soon after, and Angola took third place, though not enough goals were scored to make it to the Round of 16.

 

Important aspects of the match:

Geraldo’s 29th-minute goal.

Kulembé’s goal in the 45th minute.

Aucho’s 75th-minute goal.

Yellow card to Paizo.

 

            Player of the Match: Aucho

 

 

 

 

Group C

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Ghana

3

2

1

0

7

+6

2

Madagascar

3

1

2

0

5

+1

3

Angola

3

1

0

2

3

-2

4

Uganda

3

0

1

2

1

-5

 

São Tomé and Príncipe progresses to the Round of 16, having scored more goals than Angola. Meanwhile, Ghana will set their sights on defeating one of the third-placed nations, possibly São Tomé. Madagascar will hope to overcome the host nation, Egypt.



© 2023 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

470 Views
Added on November 19, 2023
Last Updated on November 19, 2023

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing