Asian Cup Match 24: Saudi Arabia and Thailand Score Early in Tight Draw

Asian Cup Match 24: Saudi Arabia and Thailand Score Early in Tight Draw

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Match 24: Saudi Arabia v Thailand

Saudi Arabia and Thailand Score Early in Tight Draw

January 10th, 2020

Saudi Arabia 1 Thailand 1

 

Thailand kept the Saudis at bay after both sides scored early in a tightly contested draw in Group F.

 

Thailand kept an unchanged starting eleven. As for Saudi Arabia, they brought into the side Haroune Camara.

 

Though the Saudis attacked early, it was a shock poor goalkeeper effort that led to a free header for Chanathip Songkrasin, and he made no mistake.

 

Firas Al-Buraikan then had a shot on goal, which the Thai goalkeeper saved. The ball rebounded to Hattan Bahebri, whose diving header ensured the ball ruffled the back of the net.

 

Salem Al-Dosari nearly took the lead, only to hit the post. Camara followed up the shot but did not replicate Bahebri’s efforts, with the sliding shot thwarted by the goalkeeper.

 

Al-Buraikan and Camara then combined, with the former trying to chip the goalkeeper, only for him to backtrack and tuck the ball over the bar in time.

 

Bahebri nearly had a second, where his shot came off the goalkeeper and then the bar before being cleared.

 

After the break, neither side could find the finishing touch to get a teammate close to goal to have an effective shot. Songkrasin did have a double attempt late, only to have the ball eventually saved.

 

Teerasil Dangda streaked down the right wing and found Supachok Sarachat, only for his volley to fly straight to the goalkeeper.

 

In the end, Thailand gained a crucial draw against the frontrunners in Group F.

 

Important aspects of the match:

Saudi Arabia’s best afield: Al-Buraikan with the goal and equal most passes for Saudi Arabia; Salman Al Faraj with equal most passes and most tackles for Saudi Arabia as well as three key intercepts; Ali Al-Bulaihi with four key clearances and three intercepts, as well as a crucial block.

Abdullah Otayf with equal most passes for Saudi Arabia and most dribbles overall.

Mohammed Al-Burayk with four key clearances and an intercept.

 

Thailand had all their shots on target.

Thailand’s best afield: Songkrasin with his goal and three shots on target; Theerathon Bunmathan as left back; Phitiwat Sukjitthammakul before being substituted with the equal most passes overall and most tackles overall.

Sarach Yooyen with equal most passes overall and most dribbles for Thailand.

Manuel Bihr with two key intercepts and two clearances.

Tanaboon Kerasat with four key intercepts and one clearance.

 

Group F

Malaysia cannot qualify for the Round of 16 and will seek to disrupt the nations above them with their final match against Saudi Arabia. If the Saudis win, they will guarantee a spot in the knockout stages. More eyes will be on Thailand and Iran, where if Thailand can win or draw, they will also progress, whereas Iran will be stuck precariously in third place. Iran must win to automatically make the Round of 16, and their solid win over Malaysia will stand them in good stead to do the same against a resilient Thai side.

 

 

Group F

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Thailand

2

1

1

0

4

+2

2

Saudi Arabia

2

1

1

0

4

+1

3

Iran

2

1

0

1

3

+2

4

Malaysia

2

0

0

2

0

-5

 



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on April 24, 2020
Last Updated on April 24, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing