AFCON 2020 Matches 25 and 26: Benin v Cameroon and Zambia v Rwanda

AFCON 2020 Matches 25 and 26: Benin v Cameroon and Zambia v Rwanda

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

AFCON 2020 Matches 25 and 26: Benin v Cameroon and Zambia v Rwanda

Cameroon Advance to AFCON Knockouts; Benin Joins Despite Loss

June 23, 2020

Benin 1 Cameroon 2

 

Vincent Aboubakar scored a brace to set up Cameroon’s perfect record in Group B, defeating Benin 2-1.

 

The two nations faced off in a winner-takes-all mentality, with the victor claiming first place and the chance to tackle a third-placed side in the Round of 16.

 

Benin’s coach and captain hoped for a draw to guarantee second place ahead of Rwanda, who was playing Zambia at the same time.

 

Neither side made changes to their teams, though it was Cameroon who looked to score early, causing Benin to readjust and form a block of all ten players in defence. André-Frank Zambo Anguissa had the first real shot of the match saved by Benin’s Fabien Farnolle, before the ball rolled to Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting. His follow-up shot was blocked, and Zambo Anguissa shot wide in his second attempt when he was passed into a promising position.

 

The Cameroonian had another try minutes later, this time running from the left wing. Again, the goalkeeper was up to the challenge. From the resulting corner, Cameroon looked dangerous even before the ball was kicked. Aboubakar rose above the rest, though his header bounced wide of the goal.

 

In the 26th minute, Aboubakar had another attempt, though this time with his foot. Again, the ball followed the same trajectory, out of play for a goal kick.

 

However, a minute later, the striker made no mistake from another through ball, this time coming from Christian Bassogog. Aboubakar’s right foot found space away from Farnolle along the ground, and the ball bobbled the back of the net.

 

Bassogog nearly set up Choupo-Moting with a through ball in a repeat effort, only to have the latter’s shot parried away by Farnolle.

 

In the 40th minute, Zambo Anguissa had a shot palmed away. From the corner, Bassogog floated the ball to the back post, and Aboubakar made no mistake with his head this time.

 

The striker should have had his hat trick before the break, only to fire over the bar with too much enthusiasm, and his sights possibly on the celebration rather than knocking the ball into the back of the net.

 

After halftime, Benin’s first attack brought back a goal; captain Stéphane Sessègnon went on a brilliant run, weaving this way and that, before powering home the ball.

 

Zambo Anguissa and Aboubakar sought to restore the momentum, with the former having his shot closed down and could not produce any power from his leg.

 

Down the other end, Sessègnon nearly equalised with a power strike requiring a diving save by André Onana.

 

However, the last 25 minutes were played in the middle of the park, with neither defence giving an inch. Cameroon fought hard for their third win, while Benin looked to the Group B game to determine whether they would finish second or third.

 

Important aspects of the match:

                  Aboubakar’s brace in the first half.

            Sessègnon’s goal two minutes into the second half.

            Eight shots on target to two in favour of Cameroon.

 

            Benin’s best afield: Séidou Barazé in defence with six key intercepts, three clearances and a block; Sessègnon; Sessi D'Almeida as defensive midfielder with most tackles for Benin, as well as three intercepts and a clearance; Farnolle with six saves.

            Jordan Adéoti, the other defensive midfielder, with most passes and successful dribbles for his side.

           

            Cameroon’s best afield: Bassogog with two assists, most passes for Cameroon; Zambo Anguissa with four shots on target and most dribbles for his side, as well as three key intercepts and a clearance; Choupo-Moting with most tackles.

            Michael Ngadeu-Ngadjui with four key intercepts and three clearances.

 

Zambia 1 Rwanda 0

 

 

Zambia earned a late win from the foot of Benson Sakala to earn their first three points of the tournament over Rwanda.

 

The Zambians needed a win, and by a large margin, to have any hope of advancing to the Round of 16. Rwanda needed a win as well, so the match was poised to be an attacking one.

 

Rwanda made one change to their side in the hope that would gain the three points needed, as did Zambia.

 

The Copper Bullets started the stronger against Rwanda, though it amounted to little as it took until the 28th minute to produce any real shots at goal. And even then, the two shots were from long range and had defenders easily block them.

 

Down the other end, Rwanda’s Olivier Niyonzima had a rapid shot on goal, fearing a tackle coming his way. Therefore, the speed at which he shot caused the ball to fly wide of the mark.

 

Zambia adjusted their formation to a back three as they sought a goal before the break. However, it did not come to fruition.

 

Instead, the second half saw an early attack down the left wing, resulting in a miss off the head of Augustine Mulenga.

 

Niyonzima, down the other end, had the best chance of the match at that stage; his header hit the left-hand post.

 

Neither side could find the finishing blow, even when they cross came from Rwanda’s right wing straight to Meddie Kagere, whose header thudded the woodwork before Sebastian Mwange swiped the ball away from the line.

 

Rwanda attacked in the 76th minute, where Jacques Tuyisenge had a shot parried away. In the next passage of play, Muhadjiri Hakizimana fired at goal, only for Mwange to make the save. Tuyisenge reached the rebound first, only to realise he was offside during Hakizimana’s shot.

 

Instead, Zambia, renewed by the steely defence, attacked down the right wing, and with a little sloppy Rwandan defence. Sakala stepped up and fired home the winner with six minutes remaining.

 

That goal means Zambia has a slim chance of progressing to the Round of 16, pending results in other groups.

 

As for Benin, they will tackle the second-placed side in Group A, to be determined tonight.

 

Important aspects of the match:

            84th-minute goal by Sakala.

 

            Zambia’s best afield: Mwange with six saves; Sakala with his goal and equal most passes and dribbles for his side, as well as two key intercepts and two clearances; Lawrence Chungu with equal most tackles for his side.

            Tapson Kaseba with most tackles for his side.

            Adrian Chama with three key clearances and an intercept.

            Kabaso Chongo with two key intercepts and two clearances.

 

            Rwanda’s best afield: Emmanuel Imanishimwe at left back with equal most passes for Rwanda, Djihad Bizimana in defensive midfield with equal most passes for Rwanda, five key intercepts, two clearances and a block; Fitina Omborenga at right back with three key clearances and an intercept.

            Olivier Niyonzima with equal most passes, tackles and dribbles for Rwanda.

            Thierry Manzi with four key clearances and two intercepts.

 

 

Group B

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Cameroon

3

3

0

0

9

+5

2

Benin

3

1

1

1

4

+1

3

Zambia

3

1

0

2

3

-3

4

Rwanda

3

0

1

2

1

-3

 



© 2023 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

432 Views
Added on October 30, 2023
Last Updated on October 30, 2023

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing