AFCON 2020 Semi Final Matches

AFCON 2020 Semi Final Matches

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

AFCON 2020 Semi Final Matches

July 7, 2020

Ghana 1 Algeria 0

 

Samuel Owusu once again became Ghana’s hero as his goal was the difference against Algeria to a tight Semi Final tussle.

 

Ghana had Algeria against the ropes early, leading to a Owusu shot from long range, though it was easy pickings for the Algerian goalkeeper, Rais M’Bohli.

 

Soon Algeria worked both wings, leading to crosses that had the Ghanaian defence second-guessing themselves. A corner kick managed to find the head of Ismaël Bennacer; his header flew straight to Richard Ofori.

 

Soon the match seemed level; Bennacer’s second effort required a Ghanaian block, as did Riyad Mahrez’s efforts.

 

Mohamed Belaili nearly had a header off a corner himself, only to have the ball cleared off the line. Both him and Sofiane Feghouli switched wings repeatedly to try to find a gap in Ghana’s wide defensive structure.

 

After the break, Ghana went on the immediate attack. Owusu combined with Jordan Ayew to set up a shot for the latter, only for M’Bohli to make the necessary save. From the follow-up passage of play to the corner, Andre Ayew set up his brother for a header; the ball flew over the bar.

 

The game became a real battle of attrition, with hardly either side giving an inch. Again, Andre Ayew fought down the left wing in the 64th minute, setting up Owusu, whose attempt on goal was met with a M’Bohli parry.

 

In the 70th minute, Emmanuel Boateng managed to maintain key possession of the ball, though he was driven further away from goal. It mattered little as he crossed from the left wing to an unmarked Owusu; the attacker pounced on his chance and gave Ghana the vital lead.

 

Ghana looked to be playing for the 1-0 win, until they sent a long ball to a leading Andre Ayew. His shot needed a solid save. Thomas Partey also tried from long range, though too many defenders were in his line of sight, and he missed to the left of goal.

 

Boateng again had a chance to set up another goal, though Ayew’s effort was scurried, and he booted the ball into the stands. Substitute Mohammed Kudus also had a header go wide after Ghana worked down the left wing.

 

Nevertheless, Ghana secured their place in the African Cup of Nations Final.

 

July 8, 2020

Guinea 2 Nigeria 1

 

Three goals in the second half saw Guinea overcome Nigeria, having been one of the nations who came third in the Group Stage of AFCON 2020, to keep winning in the knockout stages all the way to the Final.

 

Guinea and Nigeria struggled to gain the right ascendency over the other’s midfield, leading to few chances early in attack. Samuel Kalu had the best opportunity in the sixteenth minute, where his header off a left-wing cross flew across the face of goal. The next passage of play saw him have a ping at goal, only for Ali Keita to thwart his efforts. Then, as the half deepened, Kalu had a header off a free kick stopped before Obi Joel’s follow-up hit the post.

 

Guinea wrestled back momentum, and right before the break, Naby Keïta had a header blocked by his opposing player.

 

After the break, Nigeria had the slight advantage, as Kalu should have chipped Keita in his attack. The goalkeeper, however, was up to the challenge.

 

Down the other end, the first goal finally came as gaps started to open in defence. Guinea found a way around the Nigerian defence, and by sheer force of will managed to snag a goal via Ibrahima Traoré, as the team collectively worked that ball across the line.

 

Not phased, Nigeria came back in the 76th minute with a brilliant team goal, ending with Oghenekaro Etebo snagging the equaliser as he curled the ball inside the post.

 

However, five minutes later, Naby Keïta had other ideas, and scored from the edge of the 18-yard box.

 

Henry Onyekuru came off the bench, hoping to gain level scores once again; Player of the Match Ali Keita had no troubles with the shot. Paul Onuachu, also off the bench, had his header halted on the last line of defence. Then, Musa’s attempt from the edge of the box missed the mark, though he was in an aerial challenge with two defenders.

 

It was not enough as Guinea earned the right to the Final, and to take on Ghana.



© 2024 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

413 Views
Added on February 7, 2024
Last Updated on February 7, 2024

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing