Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
AFCON 2020 Matches 27 and 28: São Tomé and Príncipe v Egypt and Mali v Sudan

AFCON 2020 Matches 27 and 28: São Tomé and Príncipe v Egypt and Mali v Sudan

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

AFCON 2020 Matches 27 and 28: São Tomé and Príncipe v Egypt and Mali v Sudan

Egypt Finish Group Stage with Win in Defensive Match

June 23, 2020

São Tomé and Príncipe 0 Egypt 2

 

Egypt’s Mohamed El Neny and Marwn Mohsen gained half the shots on target as they both scored against São Tomé and Príncipe to progress for the Round of 16.

 

São Tomé and Príncipe made four changes to their side, hoping to catch Egypt unawares with fresh and unnoticed players. Meanwhile, Egypt brought Trezeguet back into the side.

 

The Egyptians looked dangerous early, hoping to put the game beyond doubt before the break. Abdalla Said had two attempts early, only for goalkeeper Primo to halt both.

 

Instead, it was El Neny who opened the tale after some deft through balls found him in front of goal. His right boot made no mistake in ruffling the back of the net.

 

Mohamed Salah’s cross two minutes later, in spite of the offside call, showed Egypt had the ascendency in the match.

 

With ten minutes left in the half, Salah again crossed from the wing, with Mohsen’s header just missing to the left of goal. The same happened with a corner; Salah’s pass found Mohsen’s head, only for the striker to fire the ball over the crossbar. It was third time lucky, as Mohsen punted with his head into the back of the net.

 

Mohsen should have had a brace, only his volley missed to the left.

 

After the break, São Tomé tried to catch Egypt on the counterattack, resulting in an initial shot by Capito saved by Mohamed El Shenamy, before Ludgério Silva’s follow-up shot dribbled out beyond the byline.

 

Again, Ludgério Silva tried to score in the next passage of play, only to volley to the left of goal.

 

El Neny sought a second goal before being substituted, only his shot also flew away from goal instead of curling towards.

 

Egypt played for the 2-0 victory, though São Tomé had one last attempt via Zé Varela, only for El Shenamy to hold firm in goals.

 

The win guaranteed Egypt a place in the Round of 16, but attention turned to the Sudan-Mali match to see who would be crowned top of Group A.

 

Important aspects of the match:

            14th-minute goal by El Neny.

            37th-minute goal by Mohsen.

            Only four shots on target in total for the match (three to Egypt).

            Egypt’s 55% possession.

 

            São Tomé’s best afield: Player of the Match Leonildo Soares with most tackles for his side as well as four key intercepts; Primo with six saves; Vavá Pequeno in central defence with four key intercepts and two clearances.

            Joazhifel Soares with most passes and dribbles for his side.

            Ivonaldo Viegas with four key clearances.

 

            Egypt’s best afield: El Shenamy with three saves; Salah with his assist; El Neny with the goal and equal most tackles for Egypt.

            Tarek Hamed with most passes and equal most tackles for Egypt.

            Ayman Ashraf with most dribbles for his side.


Mali Come Home Strong to Reach Round of 16 in Top Form

 

Mali 3 Sudan 0

 

Mali ensured their place in the Round of 16, with a solid 3-0 win over a hapless Sudan.

 

The Sudanese made one change in their attempt to reach second place, while Mali kept the same line up.

 

The Malians heard of the early Egyptian goal during their match, and knew they would need to score aplenty to take top spot from the AFCON hosts.

 

At about the same time, Lassana Coulibaly scored with his head off a corner after Mali switched their attack from the right wing to the left.

 

Now in a proverbial shootout with Egypt, Mali ramped up the pressure on Sudan. Abdoulay Diaby had a shot hit the back of his marking man before the ball trickled to relative safety.

 

Mali looked to cross from both wings as thy sought a second goal. Moussa Djenepo attempted a header from a tight angle; the ball fell straight into the hands of Ali Abu Eshrein.

 

Even more pressure took effect on the Sudanese defence, and soon Diaby had a goal in the 35th minute with a header from a cross from the right. Hearing of Mohsen’s goal in the other match made the Malians drop their heads, but only for a moment.

 

Kalifa Coulibaly had a chance for a third goal after the break, only to shoot to the right of goal. Instead, in the 64th minute, he coolly finished with his right foot to raise the stakes in claiming top spot.

 

Djenepo nearly made it four, only for Abu Eshrein to make the save. Sudan had some good play when the match opened up, as did Mali. The game, though, ended 3-0

 

Important aspects of the match:

            Lassana Coulibaly’s goal in the ninth minute.

            35th-minute goal via Diaby.

            Substitute Kalifa Coulibaly’s 64th-minute goal.

            Zero shots for Sudan compared with five.

            Mali had 54% possession.

 

            Mali’s best afield: Djigui Diarra in goals with four saves; Falaye Sacko in central defence; Adama Traoré II at right midfield with four key intercepts; Moussa Doumbia in central midfield with most Mali passes, tackles and dribbles.

 

            Sudan’s best afield: Mohamed Abdalla with equal most passes for Sudan; Athar El-Tahir with three key intercepts and two clearances.

            Ahmed Adam with equal most passes for Sudan.

            Abdellatif Boya with most dribbles for Sudan.

            Amir Kamal Suliman with three key intercepts and three clearances.

                                                                                                        

 

 

Group A

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Egypt

3

2

1

0

7

+4

2

Mali

3

2

1

0

7

+4

3

São Tomé and Príncipe

3

1

0

2

3

-2

4

Sudan

3

0

0

3

0

-6

 

Egypt retained top spot, in spite of both sides scoring six goals across the three games and conceding two. Their ranking came into play to separate the two. Mali now will take on Benin and should defeat them in the Round of 16. Egypt must wait to see which Group C side they face (most likely Madagascar). São Tomé must wait to see if another side joins Zambia below them in the rankings amongst the third-placed sides. If so, they will progress to the Round of 16.



© 2023 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

461 Views
Added on October 30, 2023
Last Updated on October 30, 2023

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing