AFCON 2020 Match 19: Early South African Goal Edges Out Chad

AFCON 2020 Match 19: Early South African Goal Edges Out Chad

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

AFCON 2020 Match 19: South Africa v Chad

Early South African Goal Edges Out Chad

June 21, 2020

South Africa 1 Chad 0

 

Lebo Mothiba scored in the twelfth minute against Chad to set up South Africa’s second win for AFCON 2020 and guarantee a place in the Round of 16.

 

Neither side made chances to their line ups as Chad started well, putting the pressure on the South African defence as gaps started to appear early. Ezechiel Ndouassel was found with a through ball behind the defence, only to strike directly at Ronwen Williams, where the goalkeeper’s first touch was an easy double-handed grab.

 

Instead, it was South Africa who took the early lead. Mothiba took on his defenders, working around two players before blasting the ball into the back of the net.

 

Chad needed to gain back that goal, and fast. Karl Max Barthélémy nearly did so, though his shot flew to the right of goal. Brahim Ngaroudal’s shot from a similar position required a Williams save in the nineteenth minute, as did Barthélémy’ second attempt just before the half hour mark. The striker’s third left-foot shot, also from the same spot, caused Williams to make yet another save.

 

Down the other end, Sifiso Hlanti went on a run and nearly doubled the lead for South Africa. Chad’s Nassar Koulelengar tried mimicking Hlanti with a similar run late in the half, only for his shot to be blocked.

 

In the 59th minute, after South Africa kept possession mostly in their attacking half, Bongani Zungu had a mild ping for goal. At the other end, Ndouassel’s effot was far better; the cross came to him in front of his marking man, only for his volley to travel straight to Williams.

 

Mothiba nearly scored a second goal, twice, only for Chad’s goalkeeper,

Mathieu Adoassou, to manage the ball away from the net on the first, and the second to never look like being on target.

 

In the 76th minute, Chad substitute Djibrine brought Williams into play again; the goalkeeper’s dive to his left bringing the necessary save.

 

South Africa, though having the better of the play at the end of the match, failed to score a second. Still, the solitary goal was enough to send them to the Round of 16.

 

Important aspects of the match:

            Mothiba’s goal in the twelfth minute.

            Chad with double the shots on target (six to three).

           

            South Africa’s best: Williams with seven saves; Buhle Mkhwanazi with six key intercepts, four clearances and a block; Kamohelo Mokotjo with most passes and equal most dribbles for South Africa; Mothiba with equal most dribbles for South Africa.

 

            Chad’s best afield: Koulelengar with most tackles, passes and dribbles overall; Ahmat Abderamane with three key clearances and two intercepts.



© 2022 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

24 Views
Added on January 9, 2022
Last Updated on January 9, 2022

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing