AFCON 2020 Match 24: Khazri Goal Gift Three Points to Tunisia

AFCON 2020 Match 24: Khazri Goal Gift Three Points to Tunisia

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

AFCON 2020 Match 24: Comoros v Tunisia

Khazri Goal Gift Three Points to Tunisia

June 22, 2020

Comoros 0 Tunisia 1

 

Wahbi Khazri 73rd-minute goal proved the difference between Tunisia and the Comoros, as Tunisia gained their first points for AFCON 2020.

 

Tunisia sent Khazri into left wing instead of Anice Badri, and brought Ali Maâloul to where Khazri was in the formation against their opening 2-1 loss to Guinea. The Comorans made no changes, hoping to continue their run after defeating Burkina Faso.

 

However, the island nation struggled to work their way out of defence early, leading to a chance for Tunisia’s Naim Sliti to shoot and hit the wrong side of the netting.

 

The pressure Tunisia placed on the Comoros resulted in multiple turnovers. However, that failed to articulate into a goal. Taha Yassine Khenissi should have scored, only for goalkeeper Ali Ahamada to pounce on the ball before Khenissi could determine his shot style.

 

The Comorans worked into the match in time and had pockets of through balls that almost resulted in shots. Eventually, Mohamed Youssouf, from left midfield, had a ping on goal, only for the ball to be saved.

 

The underdogs continued to use Youssouf as a launchpad, leading to a shot by striker Ibroihim Youssouf from outside the box. The ball, though, flew to the left of goal.

 

Both sides wasted free kick opportunities late in the half, before Khazri placed Ahamada under great pressure with a deft cross, causing the goalkeeper to parry the cross that became a shot out for a corner.

 

A change for the Comorans at the break aroused the Tunisians, who sought to take control of the midfield where the outgoing player, Youssouf M’Changama, had been. Sliti nearly set up Youssef Msakni for a goal, and the midfield almost had a follow-up shot.

 

In the next passage of play, Maâloul had a shot for goal, before the ball spilled out of the box. It fell eventually to Khazri, whose shot brought about an Ahamada save, diving desperately to his right.

 

Khenissi had the next close attempt; his header from a poor clearance missed to the right of goal. Sliti then stole the ball off a defender moments after, and missed to the other side of goal.

 

Khazri upstaged his teammate in Sliti, showing how to earn a free kick, which was right outside the 18-yard box. His deft free kick needed an Ahamada save, again, as Khazri sought a path into the goal’s top corner.

 

Then, in the 73rd minute, Khazri brought to fruition the only goal for the match, receiving the ball with little pressure on him. The sheer power of the shot gave Ahamada no chance, even with a high-quality dive.

 

Tunisia kept up the pressure, mainly thanks to the inclusion of Ferjani Sassi in midfield. His attacking drives kept the Comorans on the back foot, though they managed to keep the Tunisians away from goal until Sassi’s attempt from a tight angle in the 84th minute.

 

Sassi had another shot three minutes later, playing more at right midfield after Maâloul’s injury, and Khazri sending a long through ball in his direction. The Comoros then held firm, while Tunisia were content to collect a first victory for the tournament and set up the ultimate final Match Day in Group F, with every team on three points.

 

Important aspects of the match:

            Player of the Match Khazri’s 73rd-minute winner.

            Possible injuries to Maâloul and Khazri could keep them out of the final group stage match.

            Comoros only had one shot on target for the match compared to Tunisia’s four.

            Tunisia had more than double the number of tackles.

            Comoros, after an initial series of slip ups, had 16% better pass accuracy.

           

            Comoros’ best afield: Ahamada with nine saves; Nadjim Abdou with most passes overall and dribbles for his side, as well as five intercepts and a block; Soulaimana Malaga in defence with six key clearances and five intercepts; Faïz Selemani with most tackles for his side, three key clearances and two intercepts at right midfield.

            Chaker Alhadhur with three header challenges, three key intercepts and three clearances.

            Kassim M'Dahoma with two key intercepts and two blocks.

 

            Tunisia’s best afield: Khazri with the goal; Aymen Ben Mohammed at left back; Maâloul with equal most passes, equal most tackles and most dribbles for his side; Ellyes Skhiri with equal most passes and equal most tackles for his side.

            Yassine Meriah with four key clearances.

            Tunisia should take out Sliti and replace with another striker.

 

 

Group F

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Burkina Faso

2

1

0

1

3

+2

2

Tunisia

2

1

0

1

3

0

3

Comoros

2

1

0

1

3

0

4

Guinea

2

1

0

1

3

-2

 

Progressing from this group is anyone’s guess at this stage, as all nations have had a win and loss. Burkina Faso next take on Tunisia, and Guinea face Comoros.



© 2022 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on April 14, 2022
Last Updated on April 14, 2022

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing