Asian Cup Semi Final: South Korea Defeat Australia to Reach Asian Cup Final

Asian Cup Semi Final: South Korea Defeat Australia to Reach Asian Cup Final

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Semi Final Match: South Korea v Australia

South Korea Defeat Australia to Reach Asian Cup Final

January 25th, 2020

South Korea 2 Australia 1

 

South Korea has reached the Asian Cup Final after scoring a second goal with the last shot of the game against the Socceroos.

 

Jackson Irvine came in for the injured Aaron Mooy, as he returned to the starting eleven, not seen since the group stage. South Korea, meanwhile, readjusted slightly to their Round of 16 match’s line-up.

 

Both sides looked dangerous in attack, before Nam Tae-Hee had the first shot on goal. Mathew Ryan was up to the task.

 

Four additional shots blocked by the Socceroos kept the Koreans away from goal. Then, in the 44th minute, Hwang In-Beom shot from long range out of Ryan’s reach, helping South Korea take the vital lead going into the break.

 

Straight away after the break, Australia replied. Craig Goodwin worked down the left wing and found the head of Tom Rogic. His header hit the woodwork, but he was able to pounce on the rebound and snag the equaliser.

 

Lee Kang-In was found just after the hour mark, and his sliding shot found the side netting, much to the relief of the Australian side.

 

Kim Seung-Gyu, down the other end, made two vital saves; the first was Rogic’s effort from a tight angle, then Adam Taggart’s attempt almost right in front of goal.

 

Taggart’s next effort was blocked, and the ball fell straight to the Korean goalkeeper.

 

As the game deepened, it was Lee Kang-In who scored, chesting down a direct pass before manoeuvring around the Australian defenders intent on closing him down and sealing home what seemed to be the winner before Ryan could reach it.

 

It was, and South Korea celebrated emphatically, while Australia will rue their lack of defensive awareness in closing down that decisive final shot.

 

Important aspects of the match:

South Korea’s best: Hwang In-Beom with his goal, most passes and dribbles overall; Kim Seung-Gyu in goals; Lee Yong at right back with a key assist; Nam Tae-Hee.

Na Sangho with equal most tackles overall.

Jung Woo-Young with three key clearances and two intercepts.

 

Australia’s best: Jackson Irvine with most passes for Australia and equal most dribbles for Australia, as well as five key intercepts, a clearance and a block; Rhyan Grant with three key intercepts, two clearances and a block; Craig Goodwin with the assist; Tom Rogic with the goal and equal most dribbles for Australia.

James Jeggo with equal most tackles overall.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

435 Views
Added on June 15, 2020
Last Updated on June 15, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing