CONCACAF Gold Cup Group A Matches

CONCACAF Gold Cup Group A Matches

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

An overview of 2020 Global Futbol Matches

"

CONCACAF Gold Cup Group A Matches

Late American Goal Places Side in the Box Seat

October 29, 2020

USA v Mexico

 

A late USA goal from Weston McKennie lands them in pole position for advancing to the Gold Cup Final, as only the top side from both groups will progress.

 

Mexico looked fierce early, with offsides keeping them away from scoring. The Mexicans kept working down the left wing, and only steely defence from the Americans kept them in the match.

 

In the second half, the USA took early shots from wider angles, in the hope of taking the lead early and then defending it. Substitute Gyasi Zardes had two chances halted by the Mexican goalkeeper. Down the other end, Jose Macías had the best opportunity for Mexico go wide of the mark.

 

The Americans countered and the ball fell to a leading Christian Pulisic, only his two shots lacked in power.

 

Jesús Manuel Corona came off the bench and came close to scoring, as the match became end to end football. Sergino Dest had a decent shot from outside the box halted by the Mexican goalkeeper.

 

Then, in the 89th minute, McKennie played a quick one-two to free himself away from the Mexican defence, and shot into the goal with his right foot.

 

From there, the Americans held on to the three points and look likely to head to the Final, as the tournament is wedged between the Nations Leagues matches and no Semi Finals are arranged as a result.

 

Trickled Goal Gives Honduras a Solid Start to Gold Cup

October 29, 2020

Honduras v Dominican Republic

 

Bonieck Garcia’s chipped goal nearing halftime gave Honduras the 1-0 victory needed over the Dominican Republic to enter the Gold Cup in hot form.

 

Having won the first Stage of the Gold Cup, the Dominican Republic looked to continue that momentum.

 

Honduras tried through balls as their main tactic, only for the Dominican Republicans to hold firm in their structure.

 

Finally, in the 26th minute, Deybi Flores managed a shot for goal, only missing to the right.

 

The underdogs nearly scored an own goal, only for the goalkeeper to keep the ball away from goal. Honduran left back Diego Rodríguez had an attempt, missing to the right.

 

Instead, Garcia found himself alone on the stroke of halftime against the goalkeeper, and managed to chip him in time as his legs were taken out. The ball trickled inside the post and over the line, giving Honduras the lead.

 

The Dominican Republic rallied in the second half, showing no signs of tournament fatigue, only the Honduran defence held for the 1-0 win.

 

Gold Cup Final in Sight for Americans with Win over Honduras

November 2, 2020

USA v Honduras

 

The 3-1 win for the USA against Honduras have all but assured a spot in the Final, as their dominance over all the park ensured a solid victory.

 

The Americans made one change up front, while Honduras kept their same starting eleven.

 

McKennie started the game early with a goal in the sixth minute, continuing from his goal in the first game. He worked down the right flank, returning into the middle and shot before the Honduran goalkeeper had time to react.

 

Honduras got back in the game, with a great counterattack play ten minutes later, switching with a double-through ball from right midfield to the edge of the box. However, the shot was too easy for the American goalkeeper.

 

The US then ramped up their pressure, causing friction in the Honduran defence. That led to the easiest of advances by Brenden Aaronson, who breezed down the middle of the field and shot without too much defensive pressure.

 

Luckily, Honduras managed to get a goal back in the 33rd minute via a fortunate penalty, which Jerry Bengtson converted with ease.

 

The goals kept coming as Aaronson almost scored in similar fashion, though it was a through ball that set him free to run in and give the Americans the 3-1 lead.

 

Gyasi Zardes, who came into the starting eleven, nearly made it four goals with a choice free kick, requiring a diving save. Similarly, after the break, Pulisic’s advance did not bring the desired effect of a goal, but another save.

 

Honduras finally won their first corner and needed blocking from the American defence to thwart their shot after a poor initial clearance.

 

From there, the players only created half-chances, until substitute DeAndre Yedlin crossed to Zardes, whose header nearly thwarted the goalkeeper. Paul Arriola also came off the bench only to miss a golden chance. 3-1 the final score.

First Gold Cup Win for Mexicans

November 2, 2020

Mexico v Dominican Republic

 

Mexico’s 2-0 victory over the Dominican Republic ensured their first three points.

 

El Tri made one change for their second match against the Dominican Republic, and had the first opportunity, but were struggling to find their rhythm. The Dominican Republicans also had a chance, as they played more counterattacking football.

 

Finally, Mexico took control and scored with ease in the 35th minute via Jose Macías as he guided the ball into the back of the net with little pressure from their opponents.

 

The substitute, Henry Martín, nearly doubled the lead, hitting the outside of the netting. As for the Dominican Republic, Rafael Flores had an opportunity go begging right before halftime.

 

Another chance came and went to level the match with Wilman Modesta missing to the left of goal.

 

Mexico took control of the match and had a second goal via Alan Pulido, suggesting his spot in the starting eleven was much required.

 

Flores nearly had a goal, with his volley hitting the post, bouncing off the Mexican goalkeeper, then hitting the post again before being claimed.

 

Instead, Mexico gained the 2-0 win, and looked forward to the third group game.

53rd-Minute Goal Transports Americans to Gold Cup Final

November 2, 2020

Dominican Republic v USA

 

A single goal from Zardes set up the win for the USA against the Dominican Republic and a place in the Gold Cup Final.

 

The Americans looked for an advantage early down the left wing with Pulisic, and the first shot was Aaronson’s, though it fell straight to the goalkeeper. McKennie followed suit in the 24th minute, where USA looked solid but not able to get into the final third with any prowess. Zardes finally got onto a decent ball and shot, almost scoring. He then set up McKennie, only for the shot to be partially blocked.

 

Instead, Aaronson scored in the 53rd minute, where Zardes crossed in from the right wing, before Aaronson ended up with the ball and snagged from near the penalty spot.

 

The Dominican Republic also worked down the right wing in their first dangerous attack, requiring three blocks as they sent shots in the direction of goal.

 

Down the other end, Aaronson fired over the bar, nearly gaining his second for the match.

 

Luis Coordes came off the bench for the Republicans and shot from a through ball, only to have it blocked. Pulisic, however, nearly scored late, toeing the ball ahead of his opponent to hit the post.

 

In the end, that was enough, with the Americans winning 1-0.

 

Eight Goals Not Enough for Mexicans to Progress to Final

November 2, 2020

Mexico v Honduras

 

Mexico, in spite of the American game, gave themselves every opportunity to take something out of the Gold Cup with an 8-0 victory over Honduras.

 

Honduras made one change in this ultimate showdown for second place.

 

Mexico scored in the third minute to set the tone of their dominance, as Orbelín Pineda bicycle-kicked a ball that came from a tight two-on-one contest on the left wing.

 

Jonathan Dos Santos could have doubled the lead as he found a gap between the Honduran central defenders, only to punt straight to the keeper.

 

Pineda had a half-chance right before the break, only to fire down the middle of the goal. Macías had a chance to double the lead, only to fire the penalty earned over the bar.

 

After the break, though, it was Martín who scored with ease to increase Mexico’s chances of coming second. He seemed cool in the face of defenders closing in, slotting home Mexico’s second goal.

 

Macías hit a third goal home soon after with his head, crossed in from the left wing.

 

Martin scored his second goal with plenty of time on the clock to get his hat trick. He slid and toed the ball into the back of the net before the keeper could react.

 

The hat trick came from the perfect ball over the top of the central defence, sliding the ball home for the fifth goal for Mexico.

 

Macías followed suit for another goal, an absolute farce soon taking hold as the Honduran players looked sluggish.

 

Rodriguez then made it seventh heaven with a cool goal. Macías then also got his hat trick with an eighth goal.

 

“Ouch” was the response on Twitter, as Mexico saved face in spite of missing out on the Final, due to that first loss against the US.

 

 

 

Group A

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

USA

3

3

0

0

9

+4

2

Mexico

3

2

0

1

6

+9

3

Honduras

3

1

0

2

3

-9

4

Dominican Republic

3

0

0

3

0

-4

 



© 2023 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

398 Views
Added on September 20, 2023
Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing