AFCON 2020 Match 21: Algeria Come from Behind to an Easy Victory against Mozambique

AFCON 2020 Match 21: Algeria Come from Behind to an Easy Victory against Mozambique

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

AFCON 2020 Match 21: Mozambique v Algeria

Algeria Come from Behind to an Easy Victory against Mozambique

June 21, 2020

Mozambique 1 Algeria 3

 

Algeria came from being an early goal down to cruise past a ten-man Mozambican side, scoring three times in their second AFCON 2020 match.

 

Mozambique’s Witi scored in the eleventh minute with his head after a wondrous chip pass from Telinho at right wing.

 

Riyad Mahrez could have equalised minutes later after a poor pass from Mozambican goalkeeper Júlio Franque; however, the goalkeeper more than made up for his mistake by thwarting the initial shot and diving on the loose ball behind him. Mahrez had a header chance in the next passage of play; this shot flew to the left of goal.

 

Instead, Mozambique worked the angles as the progressed down the field and had a two-on-one chance against the Algerian goalkeeper, Rais M’Bohli. As Nené slid to shoot, the ball bobbled over the M’Bohli attempt to dive on the ball. In the way was defender Youcef Attal, and though the ball came off his chest, it was deemed a penalty. One could argue the goalkeeper’s slide was unsafe and the penalty was, in fact, awarded for that. It mattered little as Telinho fired out of range to the right of goal from the spot kick.

 

Stanley Ratifo tried to gift his side that missed opportunity for a two-goal lead. He raced onto the end of a long string of passes in the 27th minute; M’Bohli stretched out his left hand to make the crucial save.

 

Algerian, instead, equalised via Islam Slimani, who had his third goal for the tournament. Youcef Belaïli was the player who took on two defenders near the corner and outclassed them, crossing into Slimani who pocketed the goal using his head.

 

Mozambique fought in their attacking third for the rest of the half, only for Algeria’s back four to hold firm.

 

Straight after the beak, Mozambican defender Sidique Mussagi received a straight red card for a lush tackle on Slimani. Down to ten men, Mozambique made all three substitutions in quick succession. However, Algeria peppered the defence, before a corner kick fell to the head of Slimani, who gained his second brace in two matches.

 

Just after the hour mark, Mahrez nearly made it three goals; his shot hit the left side post.

 

In the 73rd minute, Sofiane Feghouli had a chance when he was alone in the box; his left foot was too weak, and the ball fell directly to Júlio Franque.

 

Four minutes later, Belaïli should have scored when found with a choice through ball, only his shot flew to the right of goal.

 

Instead, it was Feghouli who snagged a goal late in additional time after Slimani’s initial shot. The ball, saved by Júlio Franque, then rebounded off a defender back towards goal. Feghouli almost walked the ball across the line to finish the match well for the Algerians.

 

Important aspects of the match:

11th minute goal for Witi

33rd goal for Player of the Match Slimani

49th minute red card for Mussagi

57th minute Slimani goal

90th minute Feghouli goal.

            Nine shots to two on target in favour of Algeria.

 

            Mozambique’s best afield: Nanani with equal most dribbles overall, four key clearances and three intercepts; Jeitoso and Manuel Kambala with most tackles for Mozambique; Nené with most passes overall.

            Júlio Franque with six saves.

            Jeitoso with five key clearances and three intercepts.

 

            Algeria’s best afield: Mahrez with the assist and equal most dribbles overall; Ismaël Bennacer with most passes and most tackles for Algeria.

            Djamel Beniamri with four key intercepts and four clearances.

            Atal with six key clearances and a block.

 

 

Group D

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Algeria

2

2

0

0

6

+3

2

Morocco

2

1

1

0

4

+1

3

Côte d’Ivoire

2

0

1

1

1

-1

4

Mozambique

2

0

0

2

0

-3

 

Côte d’Ivoire must defeat Mozambique in their match to have any chance of progressing to the final 16. Algeria and Morocco, meanwhile, will fight for top spot. A Moroccan victory will see them top the group, and the Ivoirians must wait for other results in other groups to see their ranking amongst other third-place nations. If Algeria wins, it will come down to goal difference to see who takes second place.



© 2022 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

22 Views
Added on January 10, 2022
Last Updated on January 10, 2022

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing