Asian Cup Matches 27 and 28: Socceroos and Kuwait Win Final Group Stage Matches

Asian Cup Matches 27 and 28: Socceroos and Kuwait Win Final Group Stage Matches

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Matches 27 and 28: Kuwait v Tajikistan and Philippines v Australia

Socceroos and Kuwait Win Final Group Stage Matches

January 12th, 2020

Kuwait 3 Tajikistan 1

 

Kuwait found a way to score three goals, including two late netters, in their final Group B match and ensure an early Asian Cup bow out for Tajikistan.

 

Kuwait needed to win to stay ahead of the Philippines and claim second place in the group. Tajikistan were looking for a win and the slim hope of reaching third place, should the Philippines catch a draw against Australia.

 

Kuwait brought in Sultan Al Enezi as a defensive midfielder and Muhammadjon Rahimov came in the starting eleven for Tajikistan.

 

Kuwait showed their intent early as Bader Al Mutawa had a shot hit the left post. The ball lifted toward Yousef Nasser, who easily headed home into an open goal.

 

For Tajikistan, they needed to gain a goal back. Amirbek Çuraboev made a great pass through to Ehsoni Pançşanbe, only to miss to the left.

 

Instead, it was Rahimov that scored for the side after receiving the ball from Parvizdƶon Umarboev.

 

Straight after the break, Faisal Al Harbi should have scored, but with his left missed the mark.

 

Nasser then had a through ball to Al Harbi, only for the latter not to get an effective shot on goal.

 

It took until the 87th minute for Nasser to score, taking Kuwait into the Round of 16. Then in additional time, Nasser stepped up again and made it 3-1.

 

All eyes turned to the result in the other match.

 

Important aspects of the match:

Kuwait’s best afield: Nasser with his two late goals to wrap up his hat trick; Sultan Al Enezi in defensive midfield and right midfield with most passes, dribbles and tackles for the match; Shereedah Al Shereedah after coming off the bench with an assist.

Fahad Al Hajeri with three key intercepts, a block and two clearances.

Sami Al Sanea with two key intercepts and a clearance.

 

Tajikistan’s best afield: Çuraboev with the most passes and dribbles for Tajikistan as well as two key intercepts and a block; Umarboev with the assist; Rahimov with the goal.

Manucehr Safarov with three key clearances and an intercept.

Ahtam Nazarov with two key intercepts and a clearance.

 

Philippines 0 Australia 2

 

Australia scored twice as they had done in their opening Asian Cup match to ease past the Philippines and guarantee important momentum going into the knockout stages.

 

The Philippines brought in Manuel Ott while Australia kept their starting eleven in this crucial match of do or die for the former.

 

Ott had a solid chance to score when he won the ball from a poor Australian free kick and ran the length of the field. Mat Ryan was good enough to keep the chip away from the goals.

 

Ott’s next shot came off the back of a teammate, slowing the ball as it trickled toward goal.

 

Ángel Guirado and Ott then combined down the left to set up the former with a header, only to miss the mark.

 

Australia eventually attacked, through Tom Rogic, whose shot was blocked by Álvaro Silva. However, the referee found a penalty in the tumbling of bodies between Rogic, Silva and goalkeeper Neil Etheridge. Jackson Irvine easily took care of the penalty to the right.

 

Tom Rogic then scored minutes later with his head as Aziz Behich found him from a cross angled from the left wing.

 

Guirado had a chance to set up Stephan Schröck to peg back a goal, only for the midfielder to not take the initial shot.

 

After the break, Adam Taggart had a chance to chip Etheridge after a brilliant through ball found him one-on-one, but the goalkeeper was up to the task.

 

Behich once again found a teammate in the box, only for Irvine this time to have his volley blocked.

 

Awer Mabil got on the end of some brilliant passing, only to shoot wide of the mark.

 

Martin Boyle came off the bench and had a one-on-one, only for Etheridge to block the shot with his right boot.

 

In the end, Australia kept their perfect record and will now face one of the third placed sides from either Group A, C or D.

 

Important aspects of the match:

The Philippines committed four fouls, including the penalty. Two fouls on Rogic.

Philippines' best afield: Manuel Ott with his two shots on goal; Amani Aguinaldo after coming off the bench at halftime for John-Patrick Strauß with two key intercepts and a clearance; Guirado with the most passes for the Philippines.

Schröck with the most dribble attempts for the match.

Carli de Murga with the most tackles for the Philippines, three key clearances and two intercepts.

Justin Baas with two key intercepts and a clearance.

Silva with two key intercepts and a clearance.

 

Australia’s best afield: Irvine with his goal; James Jeggo with most passes and successful dribbles for the match, as well as most tackles and three intercepts; Behich with his assist; Tom Rogic with his header goal.

Milos Degenek with two key intercepts and a clearance.

Rhyan Grant with three key clearances.

 

Group B

Australia should make the Quarter Finals, knowing they must play a third-place side in the Round of 16. Kuwait may have to face a side like Iran, and that is a little worrying knowing that Iran can turn into an impenetrable side, should they need to. The Philippines have one side already worse than them in third place (Kyrgyzstan) and will hope for another from the four remaining groups.

 

 

Group B

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Australia

3

3

0

0

9

+7

2

Kuwait

3

2

0

1

6

+1

3

Philippines

3

1

0

2

3

-1

4

Tajikistan

3

0

0

3

0

-7



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on April 30, 2020
Last Updated on April 30, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing