AFCON 2020 Match 5: Two Late Slimani Goals Give Algeria the Edge Over Ivoirians

AFCON 2020 Match 5: Two Late Slimani Goals Give Algeria the Edge Over Ivoirians

A Chapter by Steve Clark

AFCON 2020 Match 5: Côte d’Ivoire v Algeria

Two Late Slimani Goals Give Algeria the Edge Over Ivoirians

June 16, 2020

Côte d’Ivoire 1 Algeria 2

 

Islam Slimani scored twice for Algeria in their opening AFCON match to come from behind and defeat their Group D rivals, Côte d’Ivoire.

 

The two nations set on topping the group and keeping Morocco outside the two automatic qualifying places.

 

Ivoirian captain Serge Aurier had the first opportunity on goal, only for the shot to be closed down.

 

From the corner, Ismaël Traoré’s head needed to be cleared off the line, though it is doubtful it would have entered the goal area.

 

Max Gradel then had a chance to score; again, the Algerian defence blocked the shot.

 

Algeria countered down the right wing and had a semi-chance halted by the defence, though Ismaël Bennacer thought he had been fouled in the penalty. It was not to be.

 

An errant pass by Algeria straight to Nicolas Pépé left him alone to fire on goal, and although Rais M’Bohli got purchase on the ball, the sheer force was too great, and the Ivoirians had the lead.

 

Down the other end, Algeria looked dangerous in their final third. Adlène Guedioura had a real attempt fly to the left of goal.

 

In the 34th minute, Riyad Mahrez, with his back to goals, passed to a leading Sofiane Feghouli, only for the shot to miss to the right.

 

Four minutes later, Youcef Belaïli also missed to the right as the Algerians fought for the equaliser.

 

Mahrez shot in the 45th minute, bringing Ivoirian goalkeeper Sylvain Gbohouo into the game. He halted the shot straight up into the air, then had the coolness to grab the ball on the second attempt, in spite of Algerian pressure.

 

Côte d’Ivoire went into the break confident of their lead, but knowing they needed a second to assure the three points and a solid start to their campaign.

 

Pépé had a real header as the cross came from the right wing in the 50th minute, only to miss to the right of goal.

 

Similarly, he also missed to the right with his foot, though Algeria’s defence was placing hefty pressure on him.

 

M’Bohli made a great save moments later when Jonathan Kodjia fired from the right of the 18-yard box.

 

Algeria’s Feghouli should have scored from the counter, being one-on-one. He shot early and the ball sailed on the outside of the left post, much to the dismay of his teammates and the North African fans.

 

In the 63rd minute, Pépé brought another deft save from M’Bohli as he smacked the ball with his left boot. From the corner, Serey Dié fired from long range with his head; M’Bohli had it easily covered.

 

Again, M’Bohli won the battle against Pépé, this time a right-footed shot that the goalkeeper pushed out beyond the by-line.

 

Maxwel Cornet came off the bench and his first touch, a header from the edge of the 18-yard box, flew straight to M’Bohli.

 

In the 76th minute, Algeria caught Côte d’Ivoire unawares as Islam Slimani dribbled around his marking man and fired with his left into goal, equalising the match.

 

The Ivoirians nearly replied, only for a falling Pépé to miss to the right of goal.

 

Ivoirian substitute Habib Maïga worked around one defender, only to have his shot blocked by the next.

 

Down the other end, Algeria won a corner, and Slimani made no mistake as he bagged a brace, this time with his head.

 

Desperate to gain a second goal for Côte d’Ivoire, Maïga shot from long range, but again, like his teammates, missed to the right.

 

Right at the death, Wilfried Bony drove for home in a one-on-one battle against M’Bohli; the goalkeeper managed to keep out the ball, and Serey Dié’s follow-up shot was wide of the mark. The referee blew the whistle, and Algeria celebrated a brilliant come-from-behind victory, setting up their AFCON campaign on the best possible foot.

 

Important aspects of the match:

Pépé scoring for the Ivoirians in the eleventh minute.

Yellow card in the 22nd minute for Algerian Bennacer.

Slimani scoring in the 76th and 87th minutes.

 

The Ivoirians had nine more shots and four more on target as well as a seven percent better passing accuracy but could not capitalise on their attacking prowess.

Even possession.

Algeria had eleven more tackles.

 

Côte d’Ivoire’s best afield: Wilfried Zaha in attacking midfield with most passes (five key passes), tackles and dribbles overall, as well as three key intercepts and a clearance; Serey Dié; Franck Kessié, before being substituted with nine minutes remaining, with three key intercepts and a clearance.

Pépé had six shots with only two on target.

Wonlo Coulibaly with two key intercepts and two clearances.

 

Algeria’s best afield: M’Bohli with nine saves; Slimani with his brace; Yassine Benzia coming off the bench for Mahrez; Youcef Attal at right back with most passes for Algeria, four key intercepts and a clearance.

Feghouli and Hicham Boudaoui both with assists.

Mahrez and Bennacer with most dribbles and tackles for Algeria. Guediora with most tackles for Algeria as well.

Djamel Benlamri with two key clearances, two blocks and two clearances.

Aïssa Mandi with two key intercepts, two clearances and a block.

Belaïli with three key clearances and an intercept.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

57 Views
Added on June 19, 2020
Last Updated on June 19, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing