FB4-80 "The Log Cabin"

FB4-80 "The Log Cabin"

A Chapter by dw817
"

And I was. It wasn't just a tranquilizer Mr. White had put in the orange juice but something else - something that made me very susceptible to suggestion. But I felt fine if still a little sleepy ...

"

PRESS CTRL = (EQUALS) TO INCREASE THE PAGE SIZE AND CTRL 0 (ZERO) TO RESET THE PAGE SIZE

       


Want to read this in a different language ?
Change the TO field to your own country and after going HERE





F U T U R E   B A R R I E R
( The 4th Novel )
Secret Technology, Unrequited Love, Absolute Vengeance

© December 2020 - Written by David Wicker
Please do not reprint without permission



 CHAPTER 80 - "The Log Cabin"
[ CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CHAPTER TO READ ]


* * *


This chapter is Rated: TEEN



Quite a bit has happened. And quite a bit will happen. It does seem like our lives are forever fraught and bound by these very words from a rather whimsical movie of Monty Python in regards to their movie, "The Meaning Of Life."

. . .



Exec #1: Item six on the agenda: “The Meaning of Life” Now uh, Harry, you’ve had some thoughts on this.

Exec #2: Yeah, I’ve had a team working on this over the past few weeks, and what we’ve come up with can be reduced to two fundamental concepts. One: People aren’t wearing enough hats.

Exec #2 (continuing): Two: Matter is energy. In the universe there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person’s soul. However, this “soul” does not exist ab initio as orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation.

Exec #2 (continuing): However, this is rarely achieved owing to man’s unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

Exec #3: What was that about hats again?

Exec #2: Oh, Uh… people aren’t wearing enough.

Exec #1: Is this true?

Exec #4: Certainly. Hat sales have increased but not pari passu, as our research…

Exec #3: [Interrupting] “Not wearing enough”? enough for what purpose?

Exec #5: Can I just ask, with reference to your second point, when you say souls don’t develop because people become distracted…

[looking out window]

Exec #5: Has anyone noticed that building there before?

. . .



And so it goes. :) And yes I fully believe that a great many of us cannot face up to more important matters in life such as developing hover-cars and teleporters despite the year being 2020 (soon to be 2021) because of us being ... look a squirrel ! ... err .. being distracted.

And for the first time in a long time I feel this. For instance I spent Christmas eve and day with my Godfather, Carlos. And as I was getting my items together to go home Christmas day evening I could not find my carry case - which carries my meds amongst other things.

I panicked a bit but then said to Carlos, well I must've left it at home. But he insisted I didn't as I offered him a menthol cough drop after our dinner which I carry in numerous supply also in my case. Now I remember doing this on Christmas Eve but not Christmas day.



I politely denied that happened yet he was very insistent. I got home, saw my carry case sitting by the chair by the phone and then called Carlos to tell him it was okay I found it. It was home and I had never taken it Christmas day.

And that was fine with me but he was perplexed. He said he could've sworn that I gave him a cough drop. He was really sure of himself - but that was impossible as my carry case was home - and I had full memory of NOT giving him one that day.



Now he's 84-years of age and while I'm not that far on yet I have had times where I go downstairs and for the life of me can't remember just what the heck it was I was going to do there.

So I do something now which may seem a little eccentric but it works for me. As I'm going down the stairs I whisper to myself what it is I'm out to do. I do this when I'm locking my front door too as I am in a very bad neighborhood and can't remember to lock the door all the time.

I tell myself, "Locked." as I lock the door.



This whispering to myself has helped - yet I remember years ago I didn't need this kind of assistance and coaching - to make it from day to day.

Clearly it all falls to one thing.



This thing all things devours: birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.

What am I ?

TIME.

Quite simply the great eradicator of all existence and life - time ...

Even in Star Trek. There was a scientist named Dr. Tolian Soran who felt time was going to catch up to him and ruin all of his plans. He said:



You know, there was a time when I wouldn't hurt a fly. Then the Borg came, and they showed me that if there is one constant in this whole universe, it's death. Afterwards, I began to realize that it didn't really matter. We're all going to die sometime. It's just a question of how and when.

You will, too, Captain. Aren't you beginning to feel time gaining on you? It's like a predator. It's stalking you. Oh, you can try and outrun it with doctors, medicines, new technologies, but in the end, time is going to hunt you down and make the kill.

They say time is the fire in which we burn. Right now, Captain, my time is running out. We leave so many things unfinished in our lives ... I know you understand ...

Picard though had something entirely different to say:



Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment - because they'll never come again.

What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived ...



Cherish every moment ...

. . .

Okay I'm a little misty-eyed after that. And hey ! Welcome back.

Let's see ... Last we left Dev he had an interesting rendezvous with Janet's boyfriend, intimate encounter at that. He's asleep in his bed - and finally morning has arrived. The day Dev will be tested proper for his unique and dare I say it 'magical' abilities by Mr. White.

But there is another surprise in store as well ...


Susan, Dev's Mother knocked on his door again.
"Time to get up, honey ! Lots to do today."

Dev finally heard her and stirred from his dream. It was a good dream and he really didn't want to leave it. It was the waterfall again with Tyr and him naked, swimming and enjoying the water. It was so comfortable there. Like maybe he was at a resort or maybe just maybe they lived there. He couldn't tell for certain.

But sleep finally left. He yawned fully, got up, got dressed, and went downstairs to see everyone else was ready, including Mr. White.

"Breakfast." Dev said but Mr. White held out his shiny metal staff to stop him.

"Not this morning, Dev." he said. "I need your brain in full attendance. I have some orange juice for you here you are welcome to, however."

Dev quite hungry from the other night drank the juice in one swallow. But instead of feeling more awake he now felt quite sleepy and dreamy.

Harold, Dev's Father now spoke. "Was that really necessary, to drug my child like that ?"

Mr. White whirled to 'look' at him through the porcelain bunny mask he always wore. "Yes I think so. I don't want there to be any problems during the hypnosis."

"Hyp - nosis ?" I said a little unsteadily, feeling the pull of sleep again.

Mr. White nodded and caught me to set me in a chair as I was ready to fall from my new lack of balance. "That's right. We're going to find where this all started. I think - you're in a good mental state now to do just that."

And I was. It wasn't just a tranquilizer he had put in the orange juice but something else - something that made me very susceptible to suggestion and questions. But I felt fine if still a little sleepy.

"Take him." Mr. White directed to Susan who helped me up and helped me walk to the waiting limousine.

We all filed in, Mom, Dad, Annie, Tyr, Janet, Ben, and of course Mr. White. The limosine drove only a short distance to what looked like an oversized igloo.

"Winter." I said absently.

Mom concerned then spoke, "How long does this drug of yours last, Mr. White. It's not permanent is it ?"

He shook his head, "No not at all, dear. Only 4-hours. Enough time for us to get to the bottom of this 'plugin.' Once I'm satisfied where it came from and can get one for myself, you and your family will be free to go, being paid of course as I mentioned earlier. One million dollars to each family."

Tyr was strangely quiet but holding my hand. I rubbed my hand in hers and she leaned her warm body up against my strangely cold one.

"He's cold." she finally said.

Mr. White nodded. "Yes, he's going to be that way while the drug is in him. It slows everything down, but especially any mental resistance to questioning. He'll be fine I promise you."

We then got out and he went to the door to present his palm. And this to me was curious as he was wearing white gloves - so clearly the device was not reading fingerprints ?

A huge metal door slid open and we were admitted into pitch darkness.

"There's a light switch." Mr. White said fumbling around on the walls as we all were enveloped by the blackness. Both my Mom and Tyr held on to the sides of me to prevent me from falling.

Suddenly there was a loud click and a light at the top of the ceiling lit. And the ceiling was high ! At least 30-feet straight-up. We were in some type of operating theater and seated around above us were very recognizable figures indeed !

Dempsey, Pritchart, Petrov, Umeya, Angel, Blade, Lilly, even Dr. Seisbee, and the two young girl archeologists, Danielle and Margot.

White noticed us noticing them and spoke, "Ah yes. Each has paid a considerable sum to be here at this momentous occasion - to see and hear firsthand the origin of the plugin."

"Lilly ?" Tyr asked.

White jerked his head to the side, "Well not everyone had to pay. Some were directly friends or in contact with Dev initially."

Tyr pressed, "Can Lilly come down here ? She's my best friend ya know !"

White nodded. A man in a gray business suit suddenly appeared at her side and whispered in her ear. They escorted her out of her seat and in a short while arrived below where we were.

"Bestie !" Lilly said and reached out to hug Tyr.

"Best friends forever !" Tyr shouted returning the favor. Her loud voice echoed hard in my ears in this strange circular auditorium.

White spoke, "Please, girls. I need you to behave, both of you. If you cannot I'll send both of you to the top so I can concentrate on what I'm doing here."

"Sorr-ee !" Tyr said in a sarcastic tone.

White grimaced which of course could not be seen beneath his porcelain mask.

"Sit, children." he directed both of them and pulled out two folding chairs.

They dutifully sat. He sighed in relief. Then pulled out more chairs for the rest of us, except me.

I was kind of crumpled over myself in the center falling over from sleepiness.

White took my hand and helped me to the side while pressing a button on the wall. A long stone bed came out from the floor complete with a fluffy pillow and straps.

"Sleepy, Dev ?" he asked me.

I nodded. He continued, "No doubt." He then helped me up into the bed and strapped me down. He hit a lever and rotated the bed at a hard 45-degree angle. He then reached for a microphone and spoke which echoed in the room.

"I want to thank each of you for attending what could be the most important interview in the history of man and woman kind. I must ask each of you to be completely quiet during this time. Any attempt to record either video or audio of what will happen next will surely get you thrown out with no refund."

He continued, "I must see each of you nod your heads if you agree to these terms."

He started with Dev who nodded his meaty bearded face. All the way to Margot at the end.

"Fine." he spoke. Then to me, "Dev. I have something I want you to look at if you would please."

Right then I snored noisily. Some of the girls up above including Tyr and Lilly giggled slightly. White grunted unhappily and gently tapped my face. "Wake up, Dev. We're not done yet."

* * *

I opened my eyes.

"Here, focus on this." and he held up a very pretty metal disk. It was coated on both sides with some type of rainbow refraction grating design, really quite pretty in this light.

He held up a chain for it and a motor started to slowly turn it around flashing the rainbow on and off my face in the reflections.

"Focus, Dev. Focus."

I continued to stare at it, how pretty it was and the rotations it was making.

White turned around to look up and had a finger to his mouth. Absolute quiet. No-one made a sound. He turned his gaze back to me.

I was still watching the beautiful disk as it continued to rotate on an unseen motor.

White then spoke louder, "Dev. I want you to relax. I want you to imagine that every muscle in your body is hard concrete. That you feel stiff and uncomfortable. That you can't move a single muscle because of its tightness."

My face took on a stressed look. He continued.

"Now this is changing. These muscles that are so tight, that are so wound up in a ball, feel them releasing now, the concrete turns to clay, they are soft and can move easier."

My face softened and my eyes drooped slightly.

"They are changing again. The clay is now turning to cotton. Imagine the most comfortable cotton pillows you can and you are feeling them all around you. So comfortable."

I breathed out very slowly. He continued.

"Now see yourself up in the sky. You have no fear of the heights. You are way up in the sky. You are laying belly down on one of the clouds. Your head is over the edge and you are so very sleepy and comfortable. You see other clouds beneath you. You slide off one cloud to another, gently, as a feather might fall."

"Each time you fall you fall slower and slower. You feel more and more comfortable until you are wrapped in a robe of comfort. Your breathing is slower too. Your heartbeat gets slower. You are in a state of absolute and complete relaxation."

White then stepped back for a bit to pocket the crystal disk. My eyes were half open and I was drooling visibly out my mouth now. I was certain if I did not have the drug in me I would not be quite so affected by his hypnosis.

"That's fine, Dev." he spoke reassuringly. "That's fine."

He pressed a button and a pretty young girl in a short medical skirt came in to wipe my mouth and forehead. She sat on a chair nearby at the beck and call of White if she were needed again. Her nametag read, "Daphne."

"Is he asleep !?" Tyr suddenly asked noisily causing me to shake my head and stir slightly.

White, furious turned to look at her, "Shhh !"

Annie next to Tyr whispered, "You need to be quiet honey. This is a very delicate thing he is doing."

Tyr huffed out angrily. White came back to me and spoke into my ear.

"You are still in the clouds. Still relaxed. Your breathing and heart rate are still slow. So very slow."

I listened to his words and drifted off again.

Then he said something different.

"Dev, you are now no longer in the clouds, but with me. You are with me, Dev. In this room."

He pressed a button and a side of the wall opened revealing a picture of an open window. It was not a real window just a picture of one.

"Dev, do you see this open window ? I want you to see yourself floating out of this bed and going out the window to float in the sky. Can you do that for me please ?"

I nodded. I focused on the window without blinking. Daphne came in to wipe my mouth again and sat down.

White continued, "Dev. There is a cabin miles from here. A wonderful log cabin and it is winter there. It is snowing. Can you see this ?"

I nodded.

White then hooked up some devices to my forehead, chest, and hands. After this he spoke, "Go there. Go to that cabin now. To that wonderful cabin. There is a chair waiting for you there once you arrive. I want you to lay back in that chair and just relax."

White flipped a few switches and some of the contacts he connected to me started to flash in a myriad of different colors. A few machines made electronic noises but not very loud.

White opened a panel on the side of the bed I was strapped to - to look at its display. He turned a few knobs to show a view you might get with an MRI a Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the brain. Then he hit a switch and a side of the massive blank wall of the tube-shaped room reflected what he saw.

Apparently it was medically astounding because there was a stir of clamor from above.

White spoke, "Yes. I know. Amazing isn't it ? The points HERE and HERE show brain activity - far higher than normal humans despite being in this perfectly relaxed state."

Then White came close to me. He whispered in my ear but could be easily heard on the microphone.

"Alright, Dev. You are still out the window. Now you are flying, miles per second, to this cabin. To this beautiful log cabin."

He paused a moment then asked, "Dev, where are you ?"

"I am flying - so fast - so very fast. I - I am in the woods. It is snowing. It is beautiful. I - I don't know where I am." My voice peaked in a bit of panic on those last words.

He put a supportive hand on my shoulder. "It's fine, Dev. I know where you are. I will take you home. This is your home, the log cabin is right in front of you. Do you see it now ?"

"I - yes - I - see it now. It is there. I'm in front of the door but - "

He interrupted me, "You have a key. Do you see that key in your pocket. It's cold isn't it ? It's cold out here in the snow. But you want to warm up. So you take the key out of your pocket and unlock the door. You step inside to see a beautiful embroidered chair and a huge roaring fire in the fireplace."

"You are so cold after that journey. You want to warm up by the fire."

The brain scan changed again to reflect even more activity. The murmuring from above got a little louder. White turned to address them, "People, please. I must have absolute silence."

It got very quiet then. He turned back to me. "Dev, that chair is yours. That beautiful chair with the comforters on it. You sit in that chair by the fire and you rock yourself a little forward and backward. Taking in the wonderful heat of the fireplace to warm yourself from the cold outside."

More brain activity appeared.

He then got close to me. "Dev, are you comfortable ? Are you fully relaxed ?"

I nodded. He continued in a more serious tone, "Good, because now I'm going to ask you some questions regarding the plugin and I want you to be completely truthful with me, can you do this for me, please ?"

I nodded again. "Good. First question."





END OF CHAPTER 80



Return back HOME




You are Earth Visitor # 










© 2020 dw817


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"more important matters in life such as developing hover-cars and teleporters" . . . I'd say what's important is in the eye of the beholder. We need to talk about why we are doing these things in the first place. To me, technology is important for helping us reduce our carbon footprints and making the most of the limited resources on this planet. If teleporting puts less greenhouse gas into the atmosphere than conventional transportation, I'm all for it!

Perhaps we should be paying more attention to the squirrels: https://youtu.be/O9MvdMqKvpU

Yes, we all have memory issues from time to time. Sometimes, my husband starts talking, and once he starts talking, he can go on for a while, but I want to finish what I am doing first, so I talk over him by talking about what I'm doing so I remember to finish it before actually listening to him. It depends on how important the thing I'm doing is, though. The other day, I didn't do this, and I wound up roasting some cashews for longer than I wanted. They're still edible but more burnt than I wanted.

That stuff about how everything dies eventually is why I still eat meat. I see it as part of our evolutionary heritage. If early humans didn't kill animals and cook them, we wouldn't have had the extra calories to develop our brains and our cultures. Also, this is the only Ke$sha song I like: https://youtu.be/y7V8xvll4pw

I like the lyrics on some of her other songs, but I find her voice grating. The grating voice happens to work on "Out Alive" but I don't like it with other songs.

Indeed, I too believe that time is something to cherish.

_______________

Wow, this is all coming together. It sounds like we'll be in for a dramatic finale.

That reminds me of some of the things my mom once said to get me to go to sleep.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

dw817

3 Years Ago

Just testing, yeah the symbols seem to work.
💗 💗 💗 💗 💗
Kari Rakitan

3 Years Ago

Thanky! 💗 💕 💞💗 💕 💞💗 💕 💞

Yeah, I was figuring adopting woul.. read more
dw817

3 Years Ago

Thanky! 💗 💕 💞💗 💕 💞💗 💕 💞

Sure, let me know if you need more.. read more



Reviews

"more important matters in life such as developing hover-cars and teleporters" . . . I'd say what's important is in the eye of the beholder. We need to talk about why we are doing these things in the first place. To me, technology is important for helping us reduce our carbon footprints and making the most of the limited resources on this planet. If teleporting puts less greenhouse gas into the atmosphere than conventional transportation, I'm all for it!

Perhaps we should be paying more attention to the squirrels: https://youtu.be/O9MvdMqKvpU

Yes, we all have memory issues from time to time. Sometimes, my husband starts talking, and once he starts talking, he can go on for a while, but I want to finish what I am doing first, so I talk over him by talking about what I'm doing so I remember to finish it before actually listening to him. It depends on how important the thing I'm doing is, though. The other day, I didn't do this, and I wound up roasting some cashews for longer than I wanted. They're still edible but more burnt than I wanted.

That stuff about how everything dies eventually is why I still eat meat. I see it as part of our evolutionary heritage. If early humans didn't kill animals and cook them, we wouldn't have had the extra calories to develop our brains and our cultures. Also, this is the only Ke$sha song I like: https://youtu.be/y7V8xvll4pw

I like the lyrics on some of her other songs, but I find her voice grating. The grating voice happens to work on "Out Alive" but I don't like it with other songs.

Indeed, I too believe that time is something to cherish.

_______________

Wow, this is all coming together. It sounds like we'll be in for a dramatic finale.

That reminds me of some of the things my mom once said to get me to go to sleep.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

dw817

3 Years Ago

Just testing, yeah the symbols seem to work.
💗 💗 💗 💗 💗
Kari Rakitan

3 Years Ago

Thanky! 💗 💕 💞💗 💕 💞💗 💕 💞

Yeah, I was figuring adopting woul.. read more
dw817

3 Years Ago

Thanky! 💗 💕 💞💗 💕 💞💗 💕 💞

Sure, let me know if you need more.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



Future Barrier - The 4th Novel


Author

dw817
dw817

Fort Worth, TX



About
more..

Writing