FB4-84 "Three Shell"

FB4-84 "Three Shell"

A Chapter by dw817
"

"You're fine." I told Tyr with a sigh. "I'm fine." she repeated angrily. Then muttered to herself, "I'll give you fine, Dev. You just wait till we get back home. You'll be eating my a*s just fine."

"

PRESS CTRL = (EQUALS) TO INCREASE THE PAGE SIZE AND CTRL 0 (ZERO) TO RESET THE PAGE SIZE


       


Want to read this in a different language ?
Change the TO field to your own country and after going HERE





F U T U R E   B A R R I E R
( The 4th Novel )
Secret Technology, Unrequited Love, Absolute Vengeance

© January 2021 - Written by David Wicker
Please do not reprint without permission



 CHAPTER 84 - "THREE SHELL"

[ CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CHAPTER TO READ ]

* * *


This chapter is Rated: TEEN


Good afternoon:

As you know I am on anti-psychotics and wow is it hard to wake up sometimes.

I get a call from my Guardian at 9am. We're talking finances till 9:15am. I tell myself I'll get up. I go get a drink of water. Brush my hair. Then lay down for "a few minutes."

I wake at 10am to hear the train outside. Turn over, sleep for "a few more minutes."



Now it's 11am and I'm staring at the alarm clock. I close my eyes for 2-seconds and BLINK. Now it's noon.

So, yeah if there's one thing about Seroquel, it will EAT YOUR DAY up with SLEEP. So yeah I'm just now getting around to typing and writing this at 12:30pm.

. . .

I guess my neighbors finally stopped shooting off fireworks every night. That's fine with me. I do stay up late sometimes, like midnight and it's nice to have the peace and quiet again without those.
I was with Chris the other day at Wal-Mart and a vehicle came by, their bass was so loud the very concrete beneath my feet vibrated. They came by and their windows were up and the whole car - vibrated.



I just had to wonder, are they deaf ? Are they trying to go deaf to maybe collect disability or something ? I know my Dad years ago said people who 'cruise' down the road are much like the monkeys he used to work with in the lab.



They would beat their cheat to assert their masculinity. Dad said it's no different. Except today we have greater and possibly cheaper technology to make yourself even more annoying.

I know I was bicycling one time to the local store and came by a fellow working on the front of his car. He had the trunk open too and the trunk was filled. No MOLDED with speakers. Biggest speakers you ever saw.

I guess I spent too long looking at them. He jerked his head up, looked at me, smiled, and said, wanna hear 'em ?



I shook my head but that didn't stop him. He reached into the car for a switch and *boom* *boom* went the bass - and my ears ! Awful awful. I couldn't bicycle away fast enough.

Anyways ... it's actually been quieter. Nighttime on the weekends though, yeah, we have our "Bass Chase" I call it. Where one end of the homes plays their bass about 11pm. Then the guys on the other side compete with theirs.

They go back and forth for a bit, I guess maybe they're communicating in Morse Code or something. Then after a half hour of this nonsense it gets quiet.



If I hadn't mentioned it because of my mental problems I qualify to enter a retirement village. And I'm working towards that. Should be nice and quiet there.

. . .

Rose called me today to say she got inoculated for the Covid - and what a nightmare it was ! She first off had to get registered, that was a week ago. Then they went. She said she had to go in =4= different lines.



All the while someone was coming by and validating that she was not only in the correct line but had all her proper papers. Then shift her to another place, another place, and ANOTHER place. And there were a mess of papers she had to have. Signatures for this that and the other.

A real hullabaloo. She was there for nearly 3-hours !

She said a large number of people were turned away because they didn't have the right papers, didn't cross their t's, dot their i's, and maybe just maybe were turned away because of something that could've been corrected while they were there - but were refused to.

I told her with all that royal hassle she just went through I may just miss this wonderful injection everyone is clamoring for. Especially since there was a notice she signed that she would promptly report any side-effects to them should any arise.

And they ARE supposed to arise. One of which is a low-grade fever. Now she's up in age, 70, remember she was twice my age when we first met, so while I'm glad got her Covid shot, I'm a little concerned about the side-effects that could happen.

And she said the place was PACKED with people. Absolutely everywhere. Many arguing with each other, being taken out of line because they were playing their cellphones too loudly. And there was actually a notice about that there.



And a great number of people were taken out of line because they never registered and were hoping to get service without it. She said they were loudly arguing and shouting at the people working there. Wow.

All kinds of things. Reminds me of the nightmare that happened with the Hurricane Katrina.



https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5063796

Oboy ... I remember just entering my 20s and telling myself I was going to write a book called, "It's difficult to be arrested when you're in your home at night."

I know that's a long title but I think there's a lot of truth to it. That it =IS= exceedingly difficult to get into a fist fight with unruly people or be arrested by a police officer if you're simply minding your own business and maybe watching a little TV at 7pm at night.



This 'serum' that my G/F Rose got today ... there could be a shortage later, there could be theft of it, there could be a mass riot of people fighting to get the very last rare drop of it. Wow.

I know that's making me a bit of a gloomsayer but with other ways humanity has been tested (and dismally failed) on the compassion and kindness scale, anything is certainly possible.



Me ? I feel fine. I still have asthma, I'm not enjoying that. I see my medical doctor this Wednesday (tomorrow 01-27-21) and we're going to talk a bit about it, maybe get some stronger meds for it.

And that's probably enough slice-of-my-life to keep things goings here.

. . .

We return now to Dev, Tyr, Lilly, and Janet, all of which gearing up to go to the carnival !

Janet did not take very long.

She came back and was dressed in a very flattering and white with glitter full-length dress, gold shoes, and even a little tiara as part of her barette.

I whistled in appreciation when Tyr punched me in the arm.

I rubbed my shoulder ruefully, "Hey, I'm just saying she looks nice."

"And what about me !?" Tyr demanded stepping in front blocking my view.

I looked to Tyr. She was wearing her familiar dress with the apple designs on it and little dangling felt apples on the sides. It was nothing new nor quite as attractive as Janet's quite lovely party dress.

"You're fine." I told Tyr with a sigh.

"I'm fine." she repeated angrily. Then muttered quietly to herself, "I'll give you fine. You just wait till we get back home, Dev. You'll be eating my a*s just fine."

I shuddered at the grim thought and turned to look at Lilly who also did not really dress up for the occasion but wore her familiar black T-Shirt that said, "Die already" on it punctuated by black lipgloss and heavy mascara. She always was into the morbid.

"You're looking good." I told her, eager to change the subject.

Lilly grinned and gently pushed against my chest, "Aww you're so sweet, Dev. I picked this out just for you !"

"The 'Die already' ?" I asked her ? Surely she wasn't serious.

She smiled shyly, "Yeah. You like it ? I got another that says, 'Why aren't you dead yet ?' It might even fit you if you'll let me try it on you."

Tyr growled even more.

Lilly seeing an opportunity for insult turned to Tyr and added, "You might wanna put a muzzle on it, you Polly Jockey !"

That was all it took. Tyr launched into Lilly fists-a-flying until Janet grabbed both girls and pulled them apart.

"If you two can't behave, I'll lock you up in the holding cell here where they have cold bologna sandwiches for lunch and just me and Dev will enjoy the day without you two hellions !"

That stopped them. They both cussed and grumbled, and would jatter to each other but otherwise settled down.

And then we stepped out. While I didn't know what country we were in it certainly didn't feel like a foreign one, and it was late in the day. Did I lose track of sunlight ? Clearly it was 6pm maybe even 7pm.

I saw familiar and recognizable trees so. In this I could tell we weren't anywhere near an ocean or lake, and the street signs were English too, so I could surmise Mr. White's domain must be somewhere in the United States.

"Come on." Janet said. "I know the way." and we followed her for only a short distance.

And then we could see it ! There was a huge white wooden fence that surrounded the whole thing and lovely rides !

A roller-coaster went screaming past us, I could see the top of a slow-moving and majestic Ferris-Wheel, and could hear the screaming of young kids, tweens, and teens, on mind-bending and Earth-shattering rides.

Janet reached into her pocket and pulled out 3-cords. She handed me one, one to Tyr, and one to Lilly.

"Since all 3 of you guys wear glasses. Tie this on to the back so you won't lose them in a ride."

I felt it important to speak up just then as I attached the line to my glasses. "I'm not going on any scary rides ! And that includes the roller-coasters !"

Lilly behind me tried to butter me up by rubbing my back, "Oh, c'mon Dev. You can sit right beside me. I'll even hold your hand if you're scared."

Tyr spoke up again, "=I'll= be the one holding his hand you corpse-kisser !"

"Girls !" and then Janet pulled out the sword from behind her to show the girls she meant business. We all got quiet looking at the sharp blade as Lilly twirled it majestically in her grip.

I finally spoke in the quiet, "Uh, how do you store that without it cutting you ?"

Janet grinned and turned the sword upside-down. Suddenly it lost all rigidness and she held up her hand where it neatly folded down into 20-pieces, much like little square coins connected to each other by thin wires.

"It's only a sword when it's right-side up. A clever and useful invention Mr. White gave me to defend his clients."

She demonstrated by taking the pile of 'sword' and turning over the handle where the metal suddenly clacked hard against itself like a rubber-band was pulling on the bottom of it to once again make it a long and sinister sword.

"So when I carry it behind me - it bends right with me and isn't the least bit sharp."

So saying she took it and tucked the flexible coins down past her dress and butt where apparently as she said, it was comfortable and didn't cut into her. She even bent down to curtsy which got a bit of a laugh out of me.

Then she stood up again and got stern, "And you two had better behave. You can BOTH hold Dev's hand if that's what makes you feel better."

So saying she took my right hand to hold out to the side. Then she put Lilly's there to hold my hand. She took Tyr for my left hand.

"I want the right hand !" Tyr said suddenly.

Lilly spoke, "Fine ! I'll take the left !"

So they quickly reversed hands.

"Everyone happy now ?" Janet asked in an exasperated tone.

* * *

The two girls nodded. I nodded too.

"Good, cause here we go." And we walked only 20-more feet before we were at the entrance where there was a booth and a lazy guy with half a mustache watching people going in.

"How much is admission ?" Janet asked.

"Fah-ree." he said in a nasally tone.

"Free ?" Janet repeated. Surely they were trying to make some money here.

"Fah-ree ! Clean your ears out girly-Q ! You gone to pay enough once you get in !" and he laughed which was apparently an effort as he had trouble breathing and started coughing.

So we went inside and wow the sights and smells. Fresh popcorn, bright lights, sweet cotton candy, carnival music, and freshly cooked ... chicken ?

"You guys hungry ?" I asked, my stomach growling from that awesome scent of roasted chicken. I looked up to see a little booth that said, "Chick On A Stick."

I walked up and kind of jerked my hands a bit to get them free of the girls. A very square-jaw faced and large rectangular box of a woman came up to me. "What'll it be ?" she asked in a gruff masculine voice.

I looked to the menu for a bit not really seeing anything but normal fare. "Chick on a stick ?" I asked. The name of the stall.

She nodded. "That's our specialty right now. Currently it comes with a free soda. Two bucks each. You all want one ?"

The girls nodded. "Eight bucks. We only have Sprite to drink. It's ice cold though."

I agreed, that would be fine. Then I handed her my $100 bill.

She looked at it for a second with a smile like she was certain it was fake, but then spoke anyways, "Hey, Jake. I got something here."

Jake approached, a wiry thin main and clearly her husband. She held out the dollar for him to examine. He held it up the light looking for the holograms associated with high currency.

"It's the real deal, Margie." he said speaking in a strangely effeminate voice, handing it back to her. So now I had to wonder, were they both in drag ? What a crazy marriage that must be !

She tilted her head in approval. Put it in the drawer and carefully counted out my change, a $50, two $20s, and two $1s.

I carefully pocketed the change. Then she set about making our "chicks." I had to admit it was pretty creative. She was using something like a cotton candy machine but much bigger.

She put 4-wooden sticks in the machine where an unseen gear caught each of them and started twirling them around putting chopped chicken, bread, and seasoning all around it.

After a minute of this she pulled them out and reaching into a little cooler pulled out a plastic-connected set of 4-Sprite drinks. She handed us each a stick and the 4-sodas to me which I leaned against my chest feeling it go cold.

Shivering I pointed to one of the places nearby to sit. We did and with lots of napkins tried out our "Chicken Cotton Candy" for lack of a better word.

And it was delicious ! It was of course a lot thicker than cotton candy, more like if you took really delicious chicken-fried steak and blended it and reshaped it to an egg shape like cotton candy. All roasted to perfection.

And instead of a paper tube you had a hard piece of wood, you had the "Chick On A Stick."

Hearing all the murmurs of approval I agreed it was indeed a delicious and unique carnival treat.

We sipped our sodas and watched people go by. Some had their faces painted. Some worked here wearing silly clown costumes and did tiny performances for us like Mimes did. Others came by dressed in fancy clothes, like gypsies, but clearly worked the stalls and games.

One fellow came by, very shady and seedy looking, almost like a bum. He saw us eating and tipped his hat to us which had a big hole in the top of it revealing a false wig that made him look bald, pretty sure for comic effect.

"Greetings fellow beings ! Is it games you are seeking ?"

I laughed at his silly rhyme and nodded. I was definitely here for the carnival games.

"Very well very well !" he added with enthusiasm and gave another rhyme. "Look for my stall at the end, called the Three-Shell !"

He tipped his patched hat to us again and strolled on by.

Janet spoke, "Dev. You may not want to play that game. If I'm right that's the classic game with a pea and shells and you NEVER win."

"Never ?"

She shook her head brushing her face a little with her hand for any stray bits of chicken that may have gotten stuck. "Never." she repeated. "The game is a cheat. The whole thing."

I took the last bite of my savory chicken stick, nodding. "Then we'll have to win - to show him it can be done."

Janet sighed, "Well don't spend too much money. Maybe this is a good learning experience for you."

We all finished up. There was a bathroom nearby. I used the facilities and went to make sure I didn't have chicken on me or my clothes. The girls used the other one shouting loudly to each other about heaven knows what.

Finally we all came out. I pointed to one of the stalls in sight, "There's the "Three Shell."

There was a mass of people as we were approaching but then they all seemed dismayed and disappointed leaving suddenly.

He saw the four of us approaching and smiled, motioning with his hands for us to approach. "Come test your luck come test your luck ! It'll only cost you a single buck !"

I looked. Well maybe it was a shell game. The shells were pretty though. Some type of crystalline glass, like man-made seashells with a ton of glitter on them. They would look nice on Mom's What-Not Shelf.

"Have you played before ? Would you like to know more ?" He was definitely in character.

I nodded, smiling. I wondered how difficult it would be for him to rhyme everything he said.

He lifted up the left shell to show a really pretty marble with tiny colored jewels embedded into the sides of it.

"The marble goes there." he covered the marble with a shell. "We scramble your eyes !" he then took the 3-shells and moved them around at a speed I could follow.

"Guess the shell if you dare ! And get a grand prize !"

He pointed to behind him where he indeed had all kinds of really pretty prizes, large stuffed animals, and ... pocket videogames !

Pocket - Pocket Videogames ! I had to win this now !

Janet saw my enthusiasm grow and put a hand on my shoulder to calm me and whispered in my ear, "Easy Dev. Remember, NO-ONE wins this game. Save your money for games that can be won."

I nodded. I let her know I agreed with what she was saying. But it was JUST a dollar. I could afford a dollar and he wasn't moving those shells that quickly. Heck I had =2= dollars in my pocket, so I had twice the chance of winning, right ?





END OF CHAPTER 84



Return back HOME





You are Earth Visitor # 






© 2021 dw817


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I've always needed more sleep than other people, so I'm not looking forward to waking up every two hours to feed a newborn, but hopefully that part won't last more than a few months. I'm lucky I don't have to go anywhere for work, but then moving is going to be a big pain. I'm going to just take it easy and let Husband do all the heavy lifting. I make the milk, he gets to take care of the other stuff.

Yep, loud noises are like saying, "Look at me! I big male! Very big male! Make big sound! Have big dick! Make big baby!" People in retirement don't have to worry about that anymore.

Wow, that does sound like a huge mess. I've heard some friends go through some of that, too. I'm not even in any of the priority categories for the vaccine, so I'm just going to sit tight, keep sanitizing groceries, keep staying away from people, and all that until they manufacture enough to pass out like candy.

Lovely descriptions of the carnival. It almost feels like I'm getting a chance to go out and play!

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

dw817

3 Years Ago

>> I've always needed more sleep than other people, so I'm not looking forward to waking up every tw.. read more



Reviews

A brilliant read as always :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

dw817

3 Years Ago

Well thank you there, LilDeadCupcake. :)

And welcome to comments.

Ever.. read more
♔ CrownedDevil ☾

3 Years Ago

I definitely agree with you with that one. Haha! I’m also a gamer but I play on Xbox, ps4 and gett.. read more
outstanding chapter my friend,colorful

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

dw817

3 Years Ago

Thanks, WM !
If you're following the stories you'll note that Dev in time confronts every sin.. read more
 wordman

3 Years Ago

the super hero that all stories need
I've always needed more sleep than other people, so I'm not looking forward to waking up every two hours to feed a newborn, but hopefully that part won't last more than a few months. I'm lucky I don't have to go anywhere for work, but then moving is going to be a big pain. I'm going to just take it easy and let Husband do all the heavy lifting. I make the milk, he gets to take care of the other stuff.

Yep, loud noises are like saying, "Look at me! I big male! Very big male! Make big sound! Have big dick! Make big baby!" People in retirement don't have to worry about that anymore.

Wow, that does sound like a huge mess. I've heard some friends go through some of that, too. I'm not even in any of the priority categories for the vaccine, so I'm just going to sit tight, keep sanitizing groceries, keep staying away from people, and all that until they manufacture enough to pass out like candy.

Lovely descriptions of the carnival. It almost feels like I'm getting a chance to go out and play!

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

dw817

3 Years Ago

>> I've always needed more sleep than other people, so I'm not looking forward to waking up every tw.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats


Future Barrier - The 4th Novel


Author

dw817
dw817

Fort Worth, TX



About
more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Pink Pink

A Poem by MsJewel